Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
gotta love bass thumb
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been out there that could give an ice thickness report? Want to try it this weekend but want to use the quad so I don’t have to drag all my gear through the snow. The older I get the lazier I get! The marina I fished this weekend on the bay had good enough ice for a machine just don’t want to assume it’s the same. If it’s less than 8” I’ll be hitting East harbor instead I know machines have been running around there for almost a week now.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I fished there Sunday and Monday and there was still a small area of open water at the first spring. A guy went through in the same area on Friday. With the new snow, it would be very difficult to see the unsafe areas. We had about 3 inches where we fished around the spring but there was 5-6” off the spring. There was a pressure crack we had to cross between the shoreline and first spring. There were no machines out there either day I was there. We had a camera down and the spring is loaded with carp and shad. The carp are literally laying on top of each other. As for the fishing we ended up with 3 perch total in 6 hours.
On a side note, we were the first ones out on Monday morning and about 30 minutes after we got there a guy walks out and drops all of his gear about 10’ from us. He proceeded to tel us that we “stole” his holes that he had been fishing the past 9 days lol. (On Feb 5th I know there was no ice at whites because i was there to check). I like fishing Whites, but I have never dealt with such inconsiderate people as I find out there.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Ive had guys drill holes a foot from me and start fishing Ive had good luck perchin at whites landing

·
gotta love bass thumb
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks eyespy for the update looks like if I venture out there it will be without the quad😥! Yea I have the springs marked out there and am fully aware that they open up in slightly different areas every year. Not by a whole lot could only be ten feet but that could make a huge difference in staying dry. I’m a big believer in using a spud anytime on the ice but take even more extreme caution when I get anywhere near the springs. I remember a year probably 10 years ago or so but was standing on 11” of ice and could drop a line in the open water. I agree with some of the folks out there sitting right on top of you been in that same situation many times. Usually I just pack my stuff up and move. Honestly have had some really good days away from the springs and the people.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks eyespy for the update looks like if I venture out there it will be without the quad😥! Yea I have the springs marked out there and am fully aware that they open up in slightly different areas every year. Not by a whole lot could only be ten feet but that could make a huge difference in staying dry. I’m a big believer in using a spud anytime on the ice but take even more extreme caution when I get anywhere near the springs. I remember a year probably 10 years ago or so but was standing on 11” of ice and could drop a line in the open water. I agree with some of the folks out there sitting right on top of you been in that same situation many times. Usually I just pack my stuff up and move. Honestly have had some really good days away from the springs and the people.
I have a couple of spots off the springs marked where I have caught fish in the past as well. I might try the 3rd spring this weekend if the snow isn’t too bad.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a couple of spots off the springs marked where I have caught fish in the past as well. I might try the 3rd spring this weekend if the snow isn’t too bad.
I fished whites landing yesterday,2-18. Lots of snow on the walk out to 1st spring,there is a soft spot right over it but the rest of the ice is solid.I only fished a couple hrs. targeting perch and got skunked.2 other guys had 5 perch and 1 other guy had 2 perch from earlier in the day,there was 1 shanty out much further but I dont know how they did.I would think you could take a machine out there,someone is hauling a large wood shantyt out that was on the shore yesterday.The Cove Bar does not charge $5 dollars to park anymore,I spoke with the bar tender and he said go rite ahead and park and fish.Good luck.

·
gotta love bass thumb
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been out here since 3 I walked in and paid for the parking and they took my money. Idk I guess if you don’t go in I doubt there gonna chase ya down on the ice. On to the fishing report 1 Lake Erie gold on the ice. Many lookers and chasers just no more takers as of yet. Hopefully the bite picks up here the closer it gets to dark. Dragging through the snow was not fun and I’m currently sitting on 7” of ice. If I get into em I’ll post again later tonight.

·
Set The Hook`
4,213 Posts
If I would of seen this post before lyle I could of given ya a report and told ya where to go.....been a local spot on fire.

·
Set The Hook`
4,213 Posts
hahaha didnt i tell u where it was? lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts