close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Whitebass - 250 Keepers???

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by ying6, May 14, 2004.

1. Talked to a couple guys who said they were fishing around Red bank and a guy and his son came in with over 250 whitebass...
    Now, that to me is a lot of fish... not sure what to think about this, but what would one do with that many fish, are the whitebass that good? Can you imagine how long that guy was up cleaning those fish?
    Do most guys keep this many fish? Is there a limit?
    good luck
    ying

2. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

That is absurd. I bet they started cleaning them and then got tired and just threw the rest out. it would take all day to clean that many and whitebass don't even taste all that good. what lake was this?

3. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

whitebass taste fine if you get the red streak down the fillet out, but 250 fish is crazy. 250 perch on the other hand.... :)

4. That is a lot of w/b. They do taste good if you take care of them the right way, I prefer them over crappie. I wonder if they really had 250? I'm not doubting you but you know how it is when somebody saw somebody who talked to someone who had 250 w/b. It is possible however that they did have that many and maybe that is the only time this year they will keep any fish. I have probably kept 100 or so at one time but for me that is about the only time that i will keep fish. I would rather sit and spend a few hours cleaning fish one time and then fish the rest of the year and release them. I love eating fish so I like to have plenty in the freezer plus i usually have a big fish fry for my friends about once a year. I'm not taking any sides here i'm just saying that maybe this is the only time that he is keeping any fish.

5. THat's way too many fish for me to want to clean at one time. It would take hours to do them all.

6. You are right about that OU. I have cleaned well over 100 bluegills at once before! But that way I only clean fish once a year and can just fish the rest of the summer and still have a fish fry whenever i want and not have to go catch fish and clean them.

7. Can you imagine how many beers it would take to clean all those fish!

8. If i drank while cleaning fish i would not have many fingers left! :p I save the beer for when i'm eating them!

9. four of us using the assembly method cleaned over 250 once - it took hours and we swore we'd never do it again

10. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Maybe they didn't filet them. They might have just pureed all of them and made white bass patties!! :D

11. dfoxfish

dfoxfish chairbustintruckdrowner

either way, it sounds a little absurd to keep that many. if every body did that, how many would be left in the lake? :(

12. there is no limit. and yes white bass is excellent, if cooked right away and not frozen. I would wager money that most people couldnt tell the difference between w/b and walleye. Personally Id like to see a man carry 125 fish himself. Small as they may be, thats ALOT of weight. Also smaller ones dont have the red meat.

13. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I kept 30-35 a few times in years past. Never again...way too much work cleaning them. Now it's almost always C&R. Maybe just a few fish or an occasional gill hooked wiper has to be harvested.
    250 is way too many to keep.

14. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Even if I kept fish I would not want to clean that many, way to much work.

15. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

I love to eat fish but thats my biggest problem is i don't have the time to clean them and 250 would take forever. But like stated before get one big set of fish clean once and then all you do is fish all yr and throw the rest back.

16. Tis the season for idiots. Was out on alum yesterday and there was a pontoon boat in the back of a cove crappie fishing. every fish these 2 guys caught went into a bucket. Tried to call the park officer and left a message. Called 1 800 POACHER and left a message. Unfortunatly length limits don't do much good if they are not enforced.

17. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Get the boat number......
    and a digital picture and/or the the trailer and towing vehicle too. ;)

18. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

Here is my 2sense on the white bass migrating/spawn.

Tis a perfect opertunity for the shore angler to easily access fish and these people count on it every year. These licensed anglers are certainly entitled to harvest fish but with no limits and todays technology(websites) the word is getting out massively about these areas and everyone will pay the price. Selective harvest or no harvest for spawning fish should be the givin rule. I do like to keep a dozen or so male fish a few times during the early part of the season when the water temps. are still cold. The fish taste alot better and stay alive throughout the day. When you go dragging these xmas tree size stringers around all day the fish usually are rigormortis by the time you clean them and that is nasty!!! Anyone that knows good tasting fish knows that freshness is the key and WB don't tend to freeze well either. Set the example out on the water/kiss and release the fish ...have fun with it.

Write a letter to the DOW chief or state your opinions at your local wild game hearings each March.
    NewBreedFishing

19. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

Those guys must have worked for the Panda Inn. :D

20. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

mmmm...that's terrific bass !
    EH

Attached Files: