close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

white perch

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by TPaco214, Jul 10, 2007.

1. is a white perch another name for white bass? they certainly look the same. i hear people complaining about them so i'm curious. don't think i've ever caught one.

2. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

No. White bass and White perch are different species but both they both have one thing in common, a pain in the arse when walleye fishing !:D

3. white bass have strips and a bigger mouth..the perch have a more sloped head .and a.i dont mind catchin white bass they can get to a decent size and love hittin spinners and some poppers they're a fun little fish

4. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

whiteys snd WB are different. Whiteys have a purple spot under their chin and are a lil darker than WB. They WB normally are bigger and sometimes hav a "golden eye." but i like 2 catch both on bad days :)

5. Seaturd

Seaturd Catcher of Fish

White bass are edible if you clean them correctly. White perch tastes pretty nasty. I kept a bunch of white perch from Erie years ago thinking they were wh. bass. They were inedible in my opinion.

6. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

White Perch

Attached Files:

7. krustydawg

krustydawg KrustyDawg

White Bass

Attached Files:

8. White perch are originally an ocean fish. I know a guy whose whole family used to go to the tidewaters area in Va. each spring to load up their freezers with them while(I assume!), they were in close for spawning. They thought they were great. By the way, they must get much larger when living in salt water-he reported they would go four to five pounds! I've caught them in Erie and one approaching a pound would be a hoss.

9. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

White perch are sold at grocery counters throughout the midwest as "Lake Perch" Many people buy them thinking they are getting Yellow Perch.

White perch need to be kept on ice as soon as they are boated.

10. I have never eaten white perch but I have eaten White Bass from several NE Ohio Lakes and Lake Erie. Mosquito WB seem to me the best tasting by far. I have seen people post the same thing about Mosquito walleye. Has anyone else noticed this about White Bass? I also saw some recent posts about the terrible (soggy, muddy) tast of Saugeye from a central OH lake- I forget which lake. What causes the same species to taste so different from one lake to another?

Dave

11. While drifting for Walleye at Ladue last Friday we caught a bunch of white perch. I have tried them from Lake Erie and they were O.K., but, not as tasty as the yellow perch. We decided to keep a dozen or so to try from Ladue and they were quite good. We used a fish basket to keep them alive while we were fishing and most were still alive when we cleaned them at home. Maybe the key is keeping them fresh.

12. My local Giant Eagle sells them. I remember seeing them along with white bass filet's.

I think they run the same time WB run in the Sandusky and Maumee. I know I caught one at Maumee and I heard they were getting them at Sandusky on jig and maggots.

They turn yellowish when they die. That start to look nasty.

13. i eat white bass...they're good....i just fillet them...my mom cooks them really good

14. I have tasted them from ladue before and had the same results, good. However I had some from lake erie before and it was the most disgusting tasting fish. Maybe like sheephead. Perhaps you have to treat them like white bass.

Ice, Plenty and Fast.

15. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

Bingo..! Ice them as soon as you catch them and clean them as soon as you can. Be sure and take the red lateral line out of the fillet. Bon appetite...! ;)

16. JV1

JV1

I cleaned a cooler of conneaut perch a few years back and my buddys had some white perch in the mix , i cleaned them with the perch & cooked them with the perch and nobody knew otherwise

17. Pole Squeezer

Pole Squeezer fishfinder1

The fish market around the corner from my house sells white perch. They are way cheaper than yellow perch, and may not taste quite as good. But they fry up really nice, provided the fillets are fresh. I agree that u should ice them immediately, the same as white bass, and then all is good. I won't accept anyones white bass from fremont, unless i know the were iced quickly, and not kept in a 5 gallon bucket all day. It taints the meat. White perch has saved many of my fish frys.

18. A buddy of mine caught a bunch of white perch on erie by the lighthouse at edgewater last week. We fried some up on Sunday and they were good. Not as good as yellows or walleye filet's but they were still tasty.