Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fishing Chippewa Lake yesterday with my cousin and we caught prob 100 white perch...50 of which may have been big enough to clean I was j/w if they are any good to eat? Didn't keep any, but if they are good to eat maybe next time I will! Lol

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool thanks yea I was afraid to try them lol I know u catch them in Erie sometimes and no one seems to keep them lol

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I've had them out of Erie, fried the same day they were caught. Buckeyeguy is correct, you can't freeze them, they just turn to mush...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I have caught and eaten a lot of them in years past. Those White Perch were caught from the Black River in Dexter, New York during the Spawn. They were on their Spawning Run from Lake Ontario. They are good to eat and do freeze - but the trick is that you have to pack them in ice after you catch them. It's their fat content that spoils and ruins the taste. Icing them soon after catching stops the fat from spoiling. I have had family fish fries with them also. The family loved them. It's all about Preparation - just like a Deer (Hanging Temps). The same line of thinking applies. Sheephead (Croakers) are the same way - but after chunking those, you can slice the grey, waxy fat off. So pack those White Perch in ice and you will be able to enjoy eating them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts