close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

White Bass

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Columbusslim31, May 23, 2008.

1. Columbusslim31

Columbusslim31 Student of Finjitsu

I heard the white bass run is over in Galena. First I wanted to know if anyone knows if that's accurate. Secondly, after the white bass "run", where do they go? Do they head north on there way to Erie? Or do they settle in the lake?

I have caught white bass later in the year but very small sizes in no large numbers at all. If they do leave the lake, how much of a population remains in the lake?

Lastly, does anyone know if white bass can still be caught in numbers anywhere in central Ohio?

2. They go back into the main lake..... You can catch a ton of them in the summer if you can find them schooled up. I caught over 30 of them in 2 hours last july just stacked up in one area.

3. They move back into the lake. Look for the gulls flying above the water in one spot. If you find the gulls you will find the fish.

4. Columbusslim31

Thanks guys. Hey Misfit do you have any input? I was lead to believe that white bass are one of your favorite fish to fish for.

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

not much to add,slim.as mentioned,they'll spread out in the main lake after the run.they'll move around a lot,following the shad through the summer and fall.being shorebound,you might try the areas around the bridges.these are good funnel areas and the rip rap along those areas usually will contain fish most of the summer.fishingslip float/minnies or inline spinners,jigs,roadrunners should work.spoons and vibes also are good.with those two baits,fairly fast pumping retrieves work well.also as mentioned,look for birds.windy days may find fish feeding shallow on baitfish on windward shorelines also.

6. These guys nailed it - I just wanted to stress the end of Rick's post regarding windward shorelines. Hit riprap shorelines and points when the wind is pushing the baitfish. When you catch one, fan cast that area immediately as they are almost never alone - they feed in schools.

You can also catch a lot of channel cats in these areas when the wind has pushed the shad into a shoreline or cove and the WB are feeding on the surface. The cats ain't dumb and they follow suit - they will hang out in/near the feeding area and clean up the leftover and stunned shad left behind by the WB. It is easy pickins for them!

I have done this numerous times - always pay close attention to the top of the water, especially at dawn.

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

yep,many times you'll catch bonus fish.depending on area,depth,cats,crappies,lm,sm bass,saugeyes can all be found in the area.late summer when you find whites feeding on baitfish schools in open water or big flats,it's not unusual to find crappies mixed in and eyes laying below picking up the "leftovers".

8. Columbusslim31

Thanks a lot fellas! So I guess that means that the run is indeed over and everyone should start looking to lakes and reservoirs for white bass now.

9. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

my guess is it's pretty much done.they'll be moving back down the lake,so the sunbury bridge area might start producing soon.

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

slim,check the shad density maps on this link.they'll show the migration of the shad as the season progresses.note the density around the sunbury bridge area for june;) http://fishandtales.net/saugeye_study.htm

11. Columbusslim31

That link sure is handy. I definitely remember the shad density info. The sediment info is useful as well. I imagine the latter would be instrumental in locating smallies as they prefer a sandy/rocky bottom to muddy. Thanks a lot!

12. went out with slim tonight to hit up galena, trying to catch the tail end of the white bass run. I got skunked, but Slim pulled in a decent female White Bass, about 10-11 inches.

we saw two guys carrying a decent stringer out there. still a lot of shad, but not a lot of action.

13. Columbusslim31

Yeah there's just a few left in there. I didn't think there were any left at all. I was hoping for my first smallie of the year. One small victory for me though--it was my first crankbait fish ever. Caught it on a white Yozuri Pin's Minnow. Love the action on that thing. Anyway, time to hit the lake now. My father went on friday morning and caught 20 crappie, keeping 15 over 10", and a 12" smallmouth which he released. I'm going out tomorrow morning and monday morning. Monday I'll be with my dad.

Nice fishing with you Benny. We'll do it again sometime.

Good luck to everyone else going out this weekend. :B