Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you catch any white bass in this area of ohio? i know they are plentyfull in sandusky river? didnt want to travel that far.

·
Master of Nothing
936 Posts
Any river or creek that connects into the Ohio River will have them during this time of the year.

·
click...click...click
1,508 Posts
According to Flathead King 06, youre able to catch whitebass over at CJ BROWN. Try the area by the dam, or over at the marina
yep...cj brown is full of WB, and you can catch them in the lake as already specified or in buck creek, here are a few pics to show u how well they're in there

·
Registered
173 Posts
wow I hope You got a biiiggg freezer! Even as a Chef Thats alot of Cleaning fish! ........Please tell me you saved that meat.....or donated it....

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Fishdog and kptmike- it's really sad to see the PETA crowd on a fishing web site. But hey, no one will visit your site, so you just have to go "fishing" to make your point. And if you are just thinking that you are protecting the fisheries for the benefit of all, then think again. You have no idea what you are advocating. A picture is worth a thousand words, but in this case your words are worthless.

Flathead King06 - as I have said before - you ROCK ! Nice catch and way to report where the fish are !

·
Registered
142 Posts
A few years back, the DNR at CJ was telling anglers to through the white bass on the shore if they were not going to keep them.

Flatheads pictures are eye catching, but learn about our habitat here at CJ before you condem him.

Nice catch Flathead. You definitely know where and how to catch the white bass. I need to fish 2 feet to your right from now on :D

whiskers

·
Registered
250 Posts
This topic seems to come up a lot. White Bass only have a 2-3 year lifespan (4-5 for some but rare) and have an excellent spawn rate so harvesting them is not a problem. They actually grow 9 inches in their first year. This is why hybrids (a mix of white bass and striper) have a shorter lifespan than stripers.

·
Registered
266 Posts
flathead king06 you are a brave guy to put a picture like that on this site. the odnr has determined that there is no reason to put a limit on white bass. they are the experts!!!!! not the people on this board. i have seen many people attacked for posting such things that are legal!! i saw a young man attacked for posting a picture of a female walleye he caught in the maumee river. i saw another member of this board attacked for posting that he had killed a limit of squirrel. shortdrift acted as if the kid had committed a crime. he was hunting instead of committing crimes. keeping a large catfish or fishing a paylake are both legal. but dont dare talking about it here. jug fishing ,trotlining, and limblining are also legal activities. but on this board a lot of people make up there own laws. they think that they know better than the odnr. i for one release 95% of all fish that i catch. that is my choice to make, but it is not the law.

·
Master of Nothing
936 Posts
I pretty much just catch and release only but I have no problem with people who catch and keep a lot of fish if they acutally eat them. I just hate it when people catch a lot of fish and keep them but do not eat or donate them.

Fish are meant to be eaten so if they are caught legally then by all means more power to you and I hope they were good. MMMMM...fried fish..Someone please give me a napkin or something, please.

Some people just have a different view of fishing and they are free to their own opinions but they should not judge other people for their views of fishing if what they are doing is legal.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Not condeming the catch just hate to Think food got wasted. That is what fish & game is ....Food for the table. My family couldn't eat that catch fast enough...I keep what I can eat Fresh and only freeze a little for a rainy day!

·
click...click...click
1,508 Posts
did you catch them on land or in a boat?
caught 'em on the banks of buck creek....and to all who have replied to this tread...well lets say "negatively"...read the posts I made earlier on in the southwest forum titled "quality fishing of buck creek"...by posting my pictures i was verbaly attacked and basically mauled because of my actions...and as some have already stated...the dnr officers and byron rice himself have told many, even though it may not be right, to throw your catch on the bank if you do not want it...so please read the thread before you judge. Thanks

·
click...click...click
1,508 Posts
Not condeming the catch just hate to Think food got wasted. That is what fish & game is ....Food for the table. My family couldn't eat that catch fast enough...I keep what I can eat Fresh and only freeze a little for a rainy day!
Half of what was caught was donated to the local community church for a fish fry that helped raise money for a missionary...so no food got wasted...and look at me...it doent look like i miss too many meals...lol, so none of the fish got wasted

·
Master of Nothing
936 Posts
"look at me...it doent look like i miss too many meals...lol, so none of the fish got wasted".....That was pretty funny!!! Hey, round is a shape..thats what I keep telling my wife. LOL

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The pics wont pop up on my computer but I assume you kept alot of white bass. Anyone who white bass fishes knows they are prolific breeders. If you fish the Ohio River from April to June it is hard not to catch white bass. It sounds like they went to a good cause and he shouldn't be drug over the coals for doing something he was in his legal right to do. Some parts of the state do have a daily limit on white bass (Western Ohio River has a daily limit of 30) but CJ doesn't. As long as fish are legally taken I don't see a problem with it. If we C&R ever fish we caught we would have stunted fish growth, too much competition for food, and large fish kills over the winter. Just my .02

Jake

1 - 20 of 21 Posts