Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the white bass schooling up yet in the evenings yet?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went to the Marblehead Lighthouse last night, saw only one caught. Guess it's still pretty hit or miss.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My brother and I hit a monster school of white bass off the Ashtabula breakwall about a week on last Tuesday evening. A huge school of minnows near the wall began to move out a bit and within about 30 minutes we saw them hitting the top and having themselves a feast. We started throwing out floating rap's and were landing them almost as fast as we could cast out there. We hit them one after another for about a half hour and then packed up. They were all of average size in the range of about 12-16" with a few being a tad larger. We didn't keep any though. I've heard they're not bad and I know they are quite popular down in Texas but I've never been a big fan of eating any bass species myself. Anyone every try them?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't heard much about these lately. Just don't want to miss things like I did last year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
They are very good if you know how to keep them and fillet them. We used to keep them alive as long as possible then fillet them and put 'em on ice right away. If you don't, they tend to spoil easier than most. This is from my own perspective though. Another way I have heard of, but never tried, is to cut their gills so they bleed to death then keep them cold before you fillet them. Someone once told me that it will keep them from spoiling. I do know that if you get a mess of them to have some help filleting or you will be filleting dead warm fish!

·
Registered
84 Posts
White bass are probably my favorite fish to eat. I throw them straight on ice and clean them cold. Very, very good baked with lemon and butter. I will take them over perch and walleye every day.

But thats just an opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts