close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

White bass

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Phillyfish, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Just wondered if anyone has had any luck with white bass or if anyone was even targeting them now. I went to Delaware Lake just to get my rod wet, this is my first season with a child, so not as many outings this year. I was on the shore and was surprised with the luck I had 3 white bass and 3 lm in about 1 1/2 hours. White bass were all only about 10 inches and LM all 11-13 and the largest, #4 came off the hook right at the shore line. Was a beautiful day and a perfect way to start a Sunday morning. Unfortunately no pics didn't even think to grab my camera, my nature is more of an evening fisherman than the early morning.

2. Clayton

Clayton Fly guy

I would love to target white bass, but a) i really don't know how, and b) all the crank-trolling I've ever done through schools of them near winter has produced dinky little fish. Same with my trolling in summer.

How should I actually try to catch these fish!?

3. Oct/Nov is usually good as the water cools - the bite has been picking up the last few weeks. Best time is to get on the lake at sunrise and look for rising fish or sea gulls diving for shad. The white bass are usually feeding on the shad at the surface. Mepps spinners, Vibes, jig/with twister tails & jig spinners, rooster tails, road runners, small spinner baits all fished just below the surface or the top few feet. Sometimes they are feeding well for an hour and on good days they will feed most of the morning on the surface. Wind blown shorelines will also sometimes produce white bass. I have been trolling wind blown shorelines in 6 - 20' of water with crawler harnesses and bottom bouncers at Hoover and have been getting some white bass, crappies, blue gills, perch, channel catfish, largemouth bass and saugeyes. My bigger white bass (12 - 16") though have come when casting for them when they are feeding on the surface - I have caught them from 2' of water all the way to feeding on shad at the surface over 40' of water.