close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

White Bass (Sandusky River)

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by CoolWater, May 9, 2004.

1. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

Did excellent today and some real hawgs... 1/32 oz jig/minnow took most fish... I should get some pics on my site by the end of the night...

Will be fishing several of the evenings this week and posting...

2. Is the Sandusky river the one that goes through Freemont? I'm thinking of going up and trying for some w/b this weekend but have never been up there before. Could you give me any tips on where to go? Will the w/b still be in the river this weekend?

3. CoolWater

Was back out again tonight... some good fish taken- about 30 or so total... will be back out tomorrow...

Twistertail- yea i think they should still be there through the weekend... if your going from shore- youll see everyone lined up downtown... if u have a boat then just send me an PM and I'll give ya some info. I've been doing a bunch of different techniques, most productive has been jigging a line with a pair of 1/32 oz jigs about 8 inches apart with minnows, also have used simple bobber with minnow, and caught some on inline spinners.

4. CoolWater

Here's a 15.5" from today...
    [​IMG]

5. irishfisherman

irishfisherman Da' Irish Guy

Whats the best rod/line setup for fishing river bass?
    what length, weight/line combo should i look for, and what lb of line ?

Thanks

6. for white bass anything works really. you can throw out a minnow and bobber on light line (2-4) or cast with a twister tail. i always use artificial for them with a white twister tail and line size depending on how much i snag and bump rocks (usually its ultralight gear though). you should still get some residents in the sandusky and maumee but nothing like late may when they run from the lake. then its like fish in barrel. for smallies it depends on the person/water. cranbaits, poppers, tubes, saltcraws, senkos etc. my personal favorite is a crawdad lure made by gary yamamoto. the think looks like a squid but if it has some crazy action once it hits the water. i know gander and jann's netcraft sells them. i haven't found them at dicks. if you ever want to hit the river up let me know, i have barely made it down there this summer.

7. CoolWater

Mojo is right, varies a ton, and when they are in and thick hardly matters which you do!... for White Bass in the Sandusky River after May 1, I mostly use... medium action 5 to 6 foot pole and cast/retreive two 1/32 oz jigs with a minnow on each, jigs about 1 foot apart.... top jig chartruese, bottom pink.... thats exactly what i do...
    Here's a couple hours work in mid May...

[​IMG]

8. irishfisherman

Thats a fine catch of whitie's you have there.. are they all from the river at Tiffin ?

9. CoolWater

during the run i have 3 spots i go to, all are north of fremont on the river... i do it just for sport- that was just one day when i kept some for a picture, and then gave away...some days u can catch them by the hundreds if u wanted... :)

10. irishfisherman

Hey thanks again for the info....

11. CoolWater

send me a PM in the spring and I'll take ya along on the jon boat if you want...

12. irishfisherman

That'd be awesome man, I might just take you up on that...