close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

white bass run?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fishb8t, Mar 19, 2005.

1. i was over at a buddys house and he was asking about white bass. so would anyone know what lake has a white bass run and when they run? i have never fished for white bass so if you could tell me what kind of tackle to use that woud help too.

2. CJ Brown and Caesar's Creek both have white bass. Those are probably the two closest lakes for you.
    They usually begin running up the creeks in early April/late March and the run will last until early/mid May. Exactly when the run starts and how long it lasts depends on the weather each spring. Caesar's had some good white bass runs back in the mid-90's but I don't know how good the runs have been since then. The last time I fished for white bass at CC was probably 1996. I've never fished the white bass run at CJ but I know they run up Buck Creek each spring.

Good Luck,
    Steve

3. BlueBoat98

BlueBoat98 Where's Waldo?

I've fished for White Bass at CJ for the past three years. It will probably not start until at least late April. As stated, it all depends on the weather. A good warm-up starts them moving. The fishing ranges from fantastic to non-existent - sometimes on alternate days. When they are hitting they will hit anything that goes by. Most common are small spinners like Rooster Tails in white or yellow. Yellow, White or Chartruese Twister Tails on small jigs also work. Some people put two lures below a three way swivel and catch doubles. I've even seen a tiny tube jig tied directly to a line about three feet above a spinner or jig.

You won't see a lot of people posting about it because it's a pretty small area and is already crowded without much publicity. You will also get upset sometimes because when the fish are biting people will keep a hundred or more big female breeders. Then they wonder why there aren't as many fish as there used to be!

4. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I never knew that white bass could run. I always thought they swam.

5. catking

catking Banned

That's what most carpers think traphunter......... :rolleyes: ......... :p

6. BlueBoat,

I have to agree with you regarding the area getting too crowded and the fact that each year I see more and more people pulling out way too many wb.

Last year I saw two guys carrying out 5lb detergent buckets (each guy had one) full of wb and about 10 cups of water. No joke. It makes me sick to my stomache to see that.

I release 100% of the time during the wb runs. I find it more fun to wonder up and down the stream rather than have to stay in one spot to collect 100 wb.

I hope I see less of that this year, but I bet it will be the same.

Wiskers.

7. My Personal Opinion On The Wb @ Cj Is The Same As Odnr's.... There Over-populated And Are Affecting The Others Species Food Resources. Thats Why They Had The Wb Tourny A Year Or Two Back " Most Weight Wins, No Fish Limit, No Releasing" They Are Fun To Catch If You Are Fishing For Them, Nothing But A Pest If Your Not, And Not Worth A Darn To Eat. But Thats Just My Opinion Not Arguing Anyones Point Or Anything. Hope Not To Upset Anyone On This.

Good Luck

8. What white bass not good to eat?:eek: Man I love white bass but you have to clean them right, there is some dark meat along the skin that if you dont get off will make them taste pretty strong. I have fried up white bass before for people who say they dont like them but after they try it say how good they are. I just think you have to take a little more care with cleaning white bass than say crappie, gills, or perch but they can be great. Maybe you will be able to make it to one of the outing this year and we will have some for you to try.

9. Thanks for the info twistertail, I guess ive never really paid attention to the dark meat on the fish when cleanin them. Thats exactly what I thought about the taste .... strong. Whats the outing you mentioned ? I'm somewhat new to this club and havent gotten everything quite figured out yet LOL just a rookie I guess you could say.

P.S. You wouldn't happen to know any Kellers from Circleville do you ? My fiance is from circleville were both 23 and just moved to Fairborn about a month ago.

10. I don't know how they taste but they're a blast to catch !! Zpyles is right the DNR said someone stocked a few WB & the population just exploded over the years.They wasn't happy about it. They told me to keep everyone you catch to try to reduce the #'s & it was pretty much impossible to fish them out, they're here to stay. The reasons they was upset was because like zpyles said ,it has effected the other fish, Walleye in particular, since they feed on the same prey (shad) I guess they also thought they was feeding on the fry they was stocking which cost alot of $$ to raise ! She told me ,they was going to stock the lake a little later when there's more bait available so they (WB) don't need to feed on the Walleye fry they stock. By the way, for those who may be interested they put the nets in C.J to monitor the Walleye & also to take the eggs & sperm to raise fry & produce saugeye for other lakes in Ohio. If you want to see some big Walleye you can see them @ the main boat ramp, I believe it's usually around 10 A.M, they pull the nets daily until after the spawn. Sorry for the long post !

11. Look on the main page on the left about half way down, it says OGF Events and tournaments. You can click on one and it will tell you more about it. I have been to a few and they are a great time.

12. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

White bass tend to start up when the water hits about 55°, some will begin at 50-51° but at 55-60°, it's ON !

13. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

I think there is a white bass tournament at C.J. Brown every year. I fished it two or three years ago. The fish were donated to the Glen Helen Raptor Center to feed their birds. If anyone knows when they are having it this year please post.

14. Hey zpyles I know a Bill Keller that has 3 girls that would be about that age, any relatinon?

15. Name Isnt Ringing Any Bells My Fiance's ( Kristin Keller ) Parents Are Kenny & Susan With One Younger Daughter Kaci ( 15 )

16. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

Ok here I go again --- I don't get it, how can some people be so selfish? When you see someone take a 5gal bucket of fish out of the lake we ought to ask them how long they think the fish would last if everyone took a bucket full out. But they wouldn't care anyway, it's all about them and the hell with everyone else. I say catch and release every bass. Take enough crappie and cats for a meal. If you want to stock your freezer, go to Kroger. There are too many people and too few fish for everyone to feed their families from our lakes around here.

So here's a question, why doesn't Ohio put creel limits on all fish??? That seems to me the only answer...

17. The whitebass are overpopulated in CJ, if nothing is done, then overtime all fishing is ruined, it's common math really. However, I did witness one situation on indian lake last year in early summer that was not only selfish but down right disgusting. I witnessed a group of 4 guys fill ( and I am not stretching this at all ) 9 - 50qt. coolers and 15 - 5 gallon buckets with channel catfish in about an 8 hours span. The fish were spoiling in there buckets & coolers from sitting out in the sun because they couldnt clean them fast enough. They had 4 other guys back at one of there houses cleaning fish, they were all taking turn fishing & cleaning. Now I dont care who you are or where your from or what excuses you come up with that was purely an act of BS!

18. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

We do need a limit on all fish, but I would rather see people keep bass, and release all cats.

19. TimJC

TimJC Carp Angler

You can't please everyone. I personally catch and release everything (unless I plan on using it as bait), but I understand how some people feel about overpopulation and it hurting all species, even the one that is overpopulated (stunted growth). I really don't care what you can't as long as you release all the carp you catch :D (just kidding)