Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Vermillion Yesterday and caught quite a few of what I was told were white perch. My buddy says that white perch have pink chins, white bass do not. Either way, they are tasty. Does anyone know the difference?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I think white bass have more distinct horizontal dark stripes, and a bigger mouth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
twistertail, I was interested in the Fish ID site you gave the address for.

By chance I clicked on Blue Catfish and a page that had a drawing of a catfish which resembled a channel cat more than a blue. Then it had

Other Names: channel cat, hump-back blue, forktail cat, great blue cat, silver cat

This isn't correct I'm afraid. May be just one case in the whole database, don't know.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Wonder why it says that?? :confused: I have looked at that site a few other times for fish id and has been ok. Did you check out the other catfish?

·
Registered
405 Posts
A few tell tale things can be a horizontal stripes, large mouth, longer snout on white bass as well as a longer stretch of body from the back of the anal fin to the cadual fin than a white perch. if you wanna get specific because the stripes are faded check the anal rays. White Perch have fewer than 10 white bass have 11-12.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I am pretty sure they are white perch by the pictures. I was hammering them out at vermillion yesterday. I was only not sure cause someone posted elsewhere that they were catching a lot of white bass out there at the same time I was there.

·
Enjigneer
1,369 Posts
This is an excerpt from The Ohio Sea Grant publication "Is it a White Bass or a White Perch?" This publication and some other great ones are here:

http://www.sg.ohio-state.edu/CFM/Publications/Publications2.cfm?Code=FS

There are several ways to tell the fish apart.

First, the white bass has 6-10 dark horizontal lines on its back and sides; the white perch does not.
Second, gently pull the spiny dorsal erect. If the soft dorsal fin also becomes erect, you've got a white perch. If not, it's a white bass.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Ducknut, I was fishing out of Vermillion yesterday and caught a 1/2 dozen or so white bass, not a single white perch. Species based on the ODNR descriptions (White Bass have lateral stripes):

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Fishing/aquanotes-fishid/whtebassbig.htm

Tossed them, the sheeps, smallies, and mangled gobies back saving room for the eyes that never opened theie locked jaws.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Without getting out the fish ID bible (the fishes if Ohio)
The most easily recognisable difference is the latteral line.
WB it is prety much middle of the body & WP it has a more pronounced hump near the front of the dorsal fin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts