Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a few different choices of ramps that aren't a seventy degree angle to launch from.....FOR WHEN IM BY MYSELF. I'll launch anywhere with a helping hand but... by myself something not so steep would be nice. I live in PARMA, OHIO any suggestions within a 45 minute ride LOOKING to perch and walleye fish

THANKS IN ADVANCE

G

·
Hot water in Lorain is nice. Not that deep for me and I launch by my self alot. Romps in nice but it a seasonal pass not very busy so it gives you some time to launch and recover your boat. It is located in Vermilion about 40 mins from Parma. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Hotwaters, Vermilion or any of the Cleveland area ramps. Hotwaters is by far the best but you are in for a real laugh on weekends.

·
Duck Enemy #1
220 Posts
Run accross my traveling circus (a lab and a woman that cant back a trailer and a father that is always looking confused) you will get a kick. I have to do the whole thing by myself.

But once Im in, Ill give you a hand if you ask. Most guys will.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
sertommy, The ramp at Hotwaters out of Lorain is pretty good. So is Edgewater. Though both can be very busy on the weekends. I live in Parma also.

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
Muzuricks, is an excellent launch too...! It's much like Hot waters in that it can get real busy with some good antics as a side treat. :D

·
Dr Data
732 Posts
I was spoiled by mazurics ... the ramp at Fenwick West of the Turtle creek ramps has 4 different pitches which made it very difficult to load a large boat... dont know how you do it Hook :eek: I suppose you learn them and get used to it....

If I had power loaded the boat it would be in the shop for glass repair on the bow... that is after they removed the trailer from it ...lol

How are Cranberry Creek, Vermillion Public, or Edgewater in comparison?

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,459 Posts
Cranberry Creek Marina is awesome but there Ramp is the one of the worst on the lake, small boat ramp, under 21 feet with a shallow draft, i won't be my 21 footer in there, no way no how. Vermillion River is good not steep, 2 docks, small 2 lane ramp but there okay I use them all the time, I wouldnt take a boat bigger than 23 there, edgewater you could launch a 50 footer, race boats, whatever, there huge wide and have the perfect angle, nice docks, lighted parking, side docks for parking and many lanes 8 I believe. You would be hard pressed to find a nicer launch, Mazuricks is really nice and good as well.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
If you're lookin farther east as the year progresses, the Fairport City (east side of the Grand River at the lake) and Geneva Sate Park ramps are both very workable.

Never been to other states to launch, but it seems we have some good facilities around Ohio especially for under 20' rigs.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I think "hot waters" Lorain municipal ramp is the best in the state. There are several lanes, ramps aren't too steep and are in good condition, and there is plenty of room to off your boat and tie it up out of the way while you park. Not to mention the aux police on hand at busy hours.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,459 Posts
Hotwaters is good but there tie up area stinks and so does the way parking is situated and how you have to go all the way around to retrieve, Edgewater is probably the best IMO. when you go to get straight to have a nice slide back in reverve hotwaters doesnt give you much room to get straight, not a good spot for a novice boat launcher. They get tons of seaweed in there too makes for a slipperly retrieve.

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
With your time limitations to it, I don't think you can do better for launching facilities than the one at Wildwood State Park. Several lanes, marginally steep but pretty good(long) docks to leave the boat while you go park. Fishing 'might be' a little slow right now-might NOT, too! Like all launch sites, there's a laugh a minute there! (Kinda PO's me when the old timers line up in their folding chairs and laugh their asses off-not sure if they're laughing at me -or with me!!) Good, cheap, entertainment for those old farts though....
WW has several lanes with some worn-out painted in/out arrows that
most people don't see or pretend not to see which causes some consternations.(Anyone know if they've repainted those arrows this year?)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Cranberry Creek Marina is awesome but there Ramp is the one of the worst on the lake, small boat ramp, under 21 feet with a shallow draft, i won't be my 21 footer in there, no way no how. Vermillion River is good not steep, 2 docks, small 2 lane ramp but there okay I use them all the time, I wouldnt take a boat bigger than 23."

First of all we have new a dock at our ramp which will make it easier to load and unload.
I beg to differ we have the worst ramp on the Lake.We have been steadily improving the facility and the ramp has been redone.
We have many ,many customers who have 23' to 27' boats and go in and out of here on a regular basis.
Thanks for the slam and your ramp pass you won has been revoked.
Woody @ Cranberry

·
Premium Member
10,881 Posts
I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder and how well you know how to handle your boat.

I launch at Cranberry 30-50 times per year, at least 1/2 of those I'm launching by myself.

I have never had any issues at Cranberry at all with the exception of the channel getting shallow before Bob digs it out after a strong North wind and I really like the close proximity to the fish.

I was there a couple of weeks ago and a bunch of ramp and dock improvements have been made since last year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts