Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Berlin or Mosquito lake? Or is there another smaller lake in Ohio better than these? I'm new to walleye fishing and would love to catch a few. I've caught a few saugers on the Ohio using blade baits but never a walleye.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Either one. Go to the one you know the best. If you don't know either one Mosquito would be easier to learn. Try jigging or trolling the edge of the old river channel in both lakes.

Just saw you are from Kentucky. If you are going to come this far you might as well go to Erie.

·
Registered
960 Posts
From your screen name and your request about smaller lakes, I get the impression you may be fishing in a Kayak. If this is true then I would suggest Berlin between rt. 224 and the old R.R. bed to the southwest. It is more protected and there are Walleye there. Mosquito is a long North to South lake that can get fairly rough pretty quickly.

Berlin with it's many bays and turns is better suited to small craft.

FAB

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would think Berlin, with its abundance of pleasure boaters, would be a nightmare for kayakers... however if you hit it the right time (early) and tuck away in the bays I guess you would be ok... don't know for sure don't get up there very often

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use to have a kayak and sold it for a 14ft aluminum boat. I only have a 10 hp motor. I've never been to Lake Erie and would be afraid to take a smaller boat out there. I've been looking at Lake St. Clair also but wanted to find a smaller lake with a decent opportunity on catching some walleye.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Read TopCat's detailed fishing reports and make a decision from there. I'm always partial to West Branch or Pymatuning but that's my own personal preference.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I see kayakers out on Pymatuning frequently, it is limited to 20hp, so keeps the water sport and speedy traffic off the lake. Mosquito whould be good for kayak as well, especially if you put in by the causway.

·
Mongo
515 Posts
I would say mosquito. It is easier to learn and find fish fast. ,pymatuning is a great choice too but it is a large lake. If you go to mosquito you can launch at the rt 305 launch and just motor out until you get into 18 to 21 feet of water and troll harnesses north until you go just past the cemetery.

Sent from my PC36100 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Mongo
515 Posts
Yes 3 oz bottom bouncers, 1 and 2 oz inline weights and big jons mini disks. Right now I would have harnesses running at 8, 10, 12, 14, & 16 feet in 18 to 21 feet of water at mosquito and pymatuning. I also would be using size 4 and 5 blades.

Sent from my PC36100 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 15 of 15 Posts