Which canoe?

Discussion in 'Canoes & Kayaks' started by Star1pup, Mar 20, 2008.

1. I'm thinking about a canoe for our club lake/ponds. I'll car top on my Expedition, but probably get one of the one-man loaders since this man is no longer a kid.

I guess I want it fairly light, stable, big enough to take the wife. The cost will depend on if I sell my 12' aluminum with trailer & motor.

All suggestiions & comments welcome.

2. Star,
    I have a Coleman 15 foot. It stable enough for 2 big guys to fish out of and weighs about 80 pounds. Anything shorter and you may find it more unstable. With a canoe, it isn't so much the weight involved in loading, it's just awkward! That Expedition is a high vehicle. If you have access to a small utility trailer, shoot me a PM and I'll give you instructions on making an awesome canoe hauler.

Scott

3. sauguy

sauguy river & muskie angler, dayhiker

i have a 15 foot pelican that they sell at Dicks, it is ram-x material, does just fine for me. also have a oneman loader. worth the money.

4. How about some more info on the Pelican.

5. sauguy

i think they and the coleman are made by the same company. they have a website, just google pelican canoes and it should find it.

6. sauguy

website is pelican international.

7. sauguy

dicks has them sometimes on sale for under $300.

8. I love my Old Town Discovery 158, it is 15' 8'' and weights about 75 lbs, and is 36'' wide, dont paddle to bad, and is very stable. It has the Crosslink 3 material in the hull, which makes it tuff as nails.
    I haul it in the back of my F150, and i use an extend-a-hitch.
    Bought it new for 500, off the dealer in Prospect Oh.

The Discovery line was droped by Old Town for a while, but was brought back by popular demand, because people liked them so much.
    There are a lot of Old Town dealers in Oh. you might want to check them out.

9. I have a Coleman 17' made from RamX plastic, they're very durable and float well through very shallow water. The Cabelas one man loader that Saugeye mentioned is the ticket for not doing any lifting. I love the room in the 17 footer, it's still lite and it's never been too big for anything. The Pelican does seem to be a good canoe for the money too. I put my canoe through way more than the average canoer and the RamX is good stuff. I had a guy tell me that he has lost them off of his livery trailer before and they always survive the beating.

10. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

I have an Old Town Stillwater 12. It is big enough for two people, yet small enough and light enough that if I want to go solo I can manage it fairly well. I load it into the back of my Chevy truck so that is a breeze. It aint that fastest paddling canoe, but it gets the job done. I have used it on small resevoirs and rivers. I have a 36 lb thrust trolling motor that pushes it just fine when I am not paddling a river.

CG