Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was chatting with a guy up at Antrim Lake and he said that a bubbler for the the casting pond at Whetstone went out and killed a ton of fish. I stopped by and and was surprised to see a few big cats including one that had to be near two feet and at least a few pounds. Who would have thought that there were actually fish in there bigger than 2 inch blue gills?

·
Banned
790 Posts
I just heard about that today. $3,000 pump took a dump and subsequently the pond dried up. I have friend who lives within "smelling distance" and he said the same as you, some big cats in there. He also said he has little interest in eating fish for a few weeks...I guess the smell was pretty bad.
He says the fire dept. came in, cleaned up the fish and turned on a hydrant to refill the pond.
But they are supposed to have a kids fishing derby there this weekend for the holiday and all. Kind of a crappy deal.
I know a few Clintonville business owners got together and raised/donated alot of $$ to make sure the fireworks happened down there this year. Mostly for the local kids, so the pond deal is kind of a kick in the shorts.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
There were some 3.5 lb bass in there. And at least 2 big koi. Sounds like everything died if it dried up. That is too bad. I never even noticed a pump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My hubby runs the derby, and despite all the problems (the pump is still broken) the Clintonville 4th of July fishing derby will go on. He and others in the community spent a good part of the last few days down at the casting pond, cleaning out dead fish and trying to figure out a way to aerate the pond so no more fish will die.

You'd be surprised at some of the fish that the kids pull out of that pond--they stock it for the derby.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to hear that the derby will go on and the kids will still get the chance to enjoy the annual tradition.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was there helping this morning with the derby and the kids were having a blast. I saw a lot of 8 in. bluegill and 19 in. catfish eating everything from wax worms to power bait. Take a kid fishing!!!

·
Registered
789 Posts
My son pulled a #5 cat out of there 3 years ago! We have had 5 fish fry parties with 1/2 the fish from there. 20-30 people at each. That is one of my favorite places to fish. I hope it recovers. May be awhile b/4 any 7 pounders come from there. Not sure which shot, but I think 1 of these is the #5er.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts