Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having decided we needed some quality time together on the water,toad and I hitched up the boat and made our way to hoover late Wednesday morning.
after forgetting to gas up the boat before our last outing,I surprised him by filling the tank before we left.toad hadn’t yet forgotten that trip,when we had the boat ready to launch,only to discover the gas tank was empty,and had to secure everything again,and drive 3 miles back to the station for gas.
Today we arrived at the ramp and went about our normal pre launch program.one thing tod won’t take responsibility for is the drain plug because of any possible ramifications due to his forgetting to install it.
He leaves that little item to me.
Ok,we’ve got everything ready,when I prepare to removec the tiedown on the motor(to which I keep the plug attached so I won’t forget it).but I notice the tiedown has been removed.in my naivity,I take for granted toad went “above and beyond” and decided to install the plug.so I climb in the boat as always,he backs me down the ramp and the boat floats free,and drifts away from the dock while I’m “getting situated”.
I then turn to start the motor only to find the boat taking on water fast.i begin yelling for toad to bring the truck back so I can power load the boat before it sinks.he’s oblivious to my predicament,so I throw the motor in gear and head out onto the lake.by now the water in the boat is only a few inches from the top of the transom.luckily my lil’ 9.9 has enough power to eventually get the boat up on plane and the the water is being pulled out of the boat,while I continue yelling and flailing my arms at toad.he sees me flying around in circles,and assuming I’m just taking a joy ride,decides now is a good time to answer the call of nature.i’m frantically searching for the missing plug to no avail,and finally decide the ramp is a much safer place to be at this time.so I head in ful boar,drive the boat onto the ramp.finally the boat bottoms out in the one foot of water as toad walks onto the dock asking what I’m doing.after I explain that I assumed he installed the plug,he insisted he didn’t,and implied that I forgot it.neither of which was the case.
I finally find the spare plug in the battery compartment below my seat,install it and turn on the bilge pump to remove the 12 inches of water,and within 30 minutes we’re merrily trolling the creek and having a good laugh.
after finding no sign of the tiedown or pliug in the boat or my garage later,we came to the conclusion that the strap had broken and gotten lost on the road somewhere en route to the lake.i am now going to finish that job I began 5 years ago,and chain the plug to the boat.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
All I can say is It can only happen to the two of you. If I were there we would have noticed that the plug was missing from the beginning. I think the DOW needs to come up with a law of no two people above the age of 45 can be on the water with out proper supervision of someone under 45. That should reduce your "mis"adventures. :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
Funny story, sounds like something that would happen to me. That’s why I keep a spear drain plug on a plastic strap just above the drain just for emergencies like that. I know from experience how easily those things get misplaced. I’m glad everything worked out.

Dallas

·
Super Moderator
3,930 Posts
makes one kind of glad I cancelled my journey with ya misfit:confused:

being the youngster it would have been my fault:p

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Just another chapter in the Misadventurers of Misfit and Toad.

Stay tune as there is certain to be another.:p :D :)

·
officially unofficial!!!!
2,536 Posts
rick,had you reached the point of taking off your shoe and using your big toe as the plug???:D
i keep several drain plugs in my boat just in case that same thing would(more to the point WHEN) to me.there's 1 in a rear storage compartment,1 in the glovebox,and 1 tied on the rear by the motor! i'm sure if i ever(WHEN) forget to put the plug in i won't be able to remember what exact compartment the extra plug would be in.
like a buddy of mine said,"you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a drain plug in this boat"!!!:D :D :D

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
makes one kind of glad I cancelled my journey with ya misfit

being the youngster it would have been my fault
LOLlucky you.and you're right....................it would have been your fault,so be sure and remind me about the plug on monday:D

jeff,fred said "where's the spare?"i said"it's in this mess somewhere.":D
due to the layout of my boat.it's quite tricky to run the motor and install the plug at the same time.just getting to the plug and even locating it where it was)before the boat sank,would have been impossible:eek:
i gaurantee i'll have a plug handy from now on.my boat might even be like your buddy's after this episode:D
in fact i'll be fabricating a nice necklace real soon:D

·
Premium Member
10,882 Posts
News Flash!

The French Navy's most modern and newest addition to the fleet nearly sunk this week while leaving the dock on a routine training mission.

The battleship, La' Misft was saved only by the quick actions or her experienced captain. When he realized they were taking on water and were at risk of sinking he ordered full speed ahead and beached the battleship to keep her from going to a cold watery grave.

After needed repairs at the dry dock, she was launched again and was last seen leaving the harbor with the Captain and her crew eating croissants and singing,

Rame, rame, rame sur ton bateau
Doucement, dans le courant
Gaiement, gaiement, gaiement, gaiement
La vie n’est qu’un rêve charmant !

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:D:D:Da fitting start to the season it was:eek:

·
Original OGF Staff member and owner
13,427 Posts
:p Why did I expect to hear this story:p Same misadventure different day! Thanks for the laugh Rick.

·
Sponser MHS
696 Posts
:D When i get the chance to fish with Rick iam going to bring my cam and get some of this on tape. Iam sure from all the stories ive read it will be a instant classic. Better then Bill Dance.:)

·
Scourge of Hoover
1,869 Posts
ROFLMAO! Ha-ha-ha, I can picture it all so clearly...

That is priceless - if only I had been there to see it in person.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
:D When i get the chance to fish with Rick iam going to bring my cam and get some of this on tape. Iam sure from all the stories ive read it will be a instant classic. Better then Bill Dance.:)
The best part is some of the stuff Bill does is set up. The stuff Rick does is all unscripted. :D

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
News Flash!

The French Navy's most modern and newest addition to the fleet nearly sunk this week while leaving the dock on a routine training mission.

The battleship, La' Misft was saved only by the quick actions or her experienced captain. When he realized they were taking on water and were at risk of sinking he ordered full speed ahead and beached the battleship to keep her from going to a cold watery grave.

After needed repairs at the dry dock, she was launched again and was last seen leaving the harbor with the Captain and her crew eating croissants and singing,

Kim that is too funny...sums it up to a "T". And Rick..it could only happen to you...you never fail to add a mis-adventure each season (or is it each outing?) Either way, you certainly add a special element to the stories shared on OGF!!! :p :p

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
brian,you weren't around for the french navy story.you missed one there:D
complete with pictures.too bad it got lost on the old ogf site.

i still remember meeting toad's wife for the first time.apparently my "reputation" preceded me.
as we were leaving for a trip,she told fred to be careful.he replied things would be ok,as he was going with me.
i have no idea what she meant when she said "i know.that's what worries me."

:confused::confused::D

·
Lumberjack
1,526 Posts
brian,you weren't around for the french navy story.you missed one there:D
complete with pictures.too bad it got lost on the old ogf site.

i still remember meeting toad's wife for the first time.apparently my "reputation" preceded me.
as we were leaving for a trip,she told fred to be careful.he replied things would be ok,as he was going with me.
i have no idea what she meant when she said "i know.that's what worries me."

:confused::confused::D
Well then, it seems appropriate for us newbies that you or the original author repost the event (with pics) and share the classic history for us to enjoy....I just watched "Father Goose" on the old movie channel the other day...why should your mis-adventures be buried in some archive and lost forever? C'Mon man, throw us a bone!

·
Premium Member
10,882 Posts
News Flash!

:D I've had a few PM's asking me what this says:D

For those of you that are not Bi (speak two languages:D )

It translates into ...Row, Row, Row your Boat...........

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wish i could,but when the ogf site went down the tube,it was lost forever,unless someone saved it on their puter.i think it's been 5 years.i had fun and it was partly due to crappielooker being in the boat with me.
i think it was his first boat ride,and he couldn't wait till we hit dry ground:D

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
lol great story. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts