Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having a pretty successful spring at CJ it has all but fallen apart in the last few weeks. I have only mustered up a few dinks the last few trips. The dinks I have had came on crank baits which I rarely resort to. Anyone want to give me a kind tip or two? Are they deep? I did here the winner of the walleye tournament a week ago had pretty good luck with worm harnesses. Maybe once this October weather fixes itself it will turn on again.

·
Registered
174 Posts
well green im not a walleye fisherman altho ive been trolling an hr after i bass fish every time i go out, havent seen or talked to many that are catching any, was there sat and wasnt many fishing eyes at all, caught a cpl nice bass , cpl crappie trolling for eyes, no size, think its this weather. no stable weather at all, lots of east winds, i saw that during the tourn some wrote on here they were trolling 3-4 mph, dont know much about that stuff but seems darn fast, im going to keep trying to catch an eye tho good luck, ill be out sund soon as rain goes by,

·
Registered
42 Posts
Green Boat I'm sorry to inform you but my family and myself was there Fri. nite and I believe we caught the last one in that lake . I've been over there 3 or 4 times this year with no luck on the eyes , However my first trip over this spring I did mark one on my hummingbird and I chased him till I caught him friday . That lake has been this way for 25+ years it's tuff to get more then 3 keepers at a time ( and that's fishing it hard and regular ) , I guess that's why I keep going back too see if I can master them fish . Every time I get home from brown I tell the wife I can't stand that place but I always end up going back cause I love them eyes . I would like to hook-up with you and blue-boat or whom-ever so I can get a better understanding of the lake over there just in case another eye can be found there , I have another lake I've been going too and having better luck on ( 1 a day sometimes 2 ) that I would like to invite you guys to join me on to see if we can get them going there , it's deercreek and their saugeyes your welcome any time . Looking forward to seeing posts from there when they pick up . Thanks Rogue

·
Registered
234 Posts
they are still there .you just have to be in right place at right time withe the right bait . was there sat with the wife caught 3 over 20 inches plus a bunch of shorts .

·
Registered
856 Posts
How deep were they?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I sure don't know where their hiding. I took a vacation day on Wed to take my uncle out and then fished Fri, Sat and Sun. morn. from 5:30 till 10. All together had 7 dinks and an 18 inch that found me this morning. Have been catching a lot of crappies all over the lake. Usually jig with worms or spoons. Tried trolling cranks on Wed for a couple hours with no luck. Probably because I don't really follow any program. I just try to keep the baits bumping bottom from 15 to 4 fow working the humps and road beds. Did try working some suspending baits the first hour of the morning along the north shore. Never done that for walleye at CJ before but no luck. I would like to know if anyone is catching 14 to 17 inch fish in any numbers. All I have caught this year is 9 to 12 inch dinks or 18 to 28 inch with most over 20. It is like a whole class is missing.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rogue, Pretty funny stuff. Yeh Blue boat and I have both been pretty lucky compared to most. I agree with Polarcraft about the right presentation, right bait and the right time. Hopefully before I'm 60 I can write a fishing success story about CJ that just won't be from May till July. There are a lot of eyes in that lake and it I dare say it is fun trying to figure them out. Hey, how do you catch them from an airplane anyway? Hummingbirds fly that high?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have fished cj many times with my boat that I used to have, but never cught much besides crappie. But I never did try the trolling technique. I did however read in the Jim Morris Fishing report that last week a guy caught a 10 pound walleye off the bank.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry I didn't give details , dinner was ready and family stopped by at the same time . The eye we caught was just off the creek channel in 18' FOW on the humps there , He was dead on 17" long , And we took him on a super deep driver frenzy shad crank . I can't say for sure what depth I was at because we just started to troll and that was the first rod I put out and it free spooled too long before I got back to it ( I also hit the trip on the line counter ) , I'm guessing I was all the way down to bottom . We was running at 2.6mph also . Thanks for the posts about fish caught after we left because if my wife see them I'm screwed , She believed me when I told her we just caught the last walleye in there ( she'll say why can them guys catch them and you the grate fisherman so you say can't ) . I'll never hear the end of it . As for my hummingbird it does get some distortion about 30ft off the ground but usually it's just me screaming like a little girl and holding on to the person beside me tell we land . That was a ice fishing trip for eyes and that was and is the only thing that can get me in a plane . That was the worst 7 min. of my life ! Rogue

4,760 Posts
That lake has been this way for 25+ years it's tuff to get more then 3 keepers at a time ( and that's fishing it hard and regular ) , I guess that's why I keep going back too see if I can master them fish . Every time I get home from brown I tell the wife I can't stand that place but I always end up going back cause I love them eyes . I would like to hook-up with you and blue-boat or whom-ever so I can get a better understanding of the lake over there just in case another eye can be found there
Lol I couldn't have said it any better myself

It's almost like those words came out of my mouth :D

·
Where's Waldo?
1,135 Posts
A few things come to mind in this discussion. Like Green Boat, I have done well this year until the last two trips which have resulted in exactly one 17 inch Walleye. There are more "big" fish (over 20") being caught in the last few years for some reason and somewhat fewer in the 15 to 19 range that used to be the standard. I have no idea why. I have caught probably 15 in that range this year but that is below average. The fish I have caught are EXTREMELY WELL FED. They are fat and healthy without exception. There are so many Shad and small Perch and other natural food in that lake that it's kinda surprising we ever get them to pick up a piece of worm on a hunk of lead. Also, the C.J. Walleyes are notoriously finicky. I've seen many times when they would only pick up a jig going a certain direction at a certain depth. If you find that pattern you are in like Flint. If not, you're just drowning worms. Finally, the lake has already stratified for the summer and there is almost no oxygen below 15 fow. (http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/wc/wq/cbr.html) That causes non-active fish to suspend over deeper water and they don't stay deep if they go down there. They're a tempting target but most are not feeding.

So, my advice is to stay shallow and move around to find active fish. If you're trolling, don't go under the fish.

I'll miss next weekend as I'll be out of the state. Hope you guys figure it out by then and can share some success stories.

See you out there.

MC

·
Registered
234 Posts
there is another tournment this sunday . i will be pre fishing all week . i will post some reports sunday after the tournment .

·
Registered
856 Posts
Went out the AM with my brother and caught several short eyes (10 in or so), two keepers (17 & 19) along with the usual mixed bag of perch, gills & cats. Most fish were caught slow trolling a crawler harness & bouncer in 12 fow. Looks like I’m not the only one not catching next years keepers; haven't caught a 14 all season.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Taking the family over to CJ tomorrow 7-8-09 , Will be there all day from about 5am to 9pm for fishing , swimming , eaten , and fishing and maybe even some catchen . We will be in our 16' green starcraft with a yamaha stop and say hey if you see us . If we catch any fish I'll let you know . Rogue

4,760 Posts
Taking the family over to CJ tomorrow 7-8-09 , Will be there all day from about 5am to 9pm for fishing , swimming , eaten , and fishing and maybe even some catchen . We will be in our 16' green starcraft with a yamaha stop and say hey if you see us . If we catch any fish I'll let you know . Rogue
Brian sending you a pm over at OO ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Finally got out for a eve. first one this year! Not so easy now after my big move to Enon, Sure miss my location i had (less than 5 min.to the lake)
Any hooo,got out by 5:30 and fished till 8:45 and finished with 3 keepers 1 was a little over 21, a 19, and 17 1/2 and should have had a couple more that came unbuttoned. Caught em with the ole jig and crawler. Gonna be out again this weekend.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Went out for about 3 hrs. till 9:00. Picked up an 18 and 20" on a crawler and 1 shorty on a spoon. Also caught a carp on an ultralite rod. Thought it was a snag and used the trolling motor to get up to it. When I reached down to pull on the line, it took off. Imagine my suprise. Took about 5 min to get it in. It might have weighed 3 lbs. but on that rod it felt like a tank.

·
Registered
234 Posts
fished thr western reserve walleye tourny at cj today . not a good day for me . me and the wife could only get cat fish on everthing we put out . but the walleye are there . the winning team had a 5 fish limit for the tourny that weighed 25.96 pounds there big fish was just under 8 pound . so they are there just being hard to catch . lot of fish caught . reefrunner 200 ripshad and hot& tots seem to be the ticket . dont give up keep trolling

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Polar...I spent a good part of the morning trying to keep from being run over by the tourney guys. They owe me a bit of thanks since on at least one occasion I scurried out of the way and they landed a nice one right in line with where my boat was 10 seconds earlier. Not sure they even realized I wasn't moving until they were within striking distance. Nevertheless thanks for the update. Many using hot n tots last year about this time and also did pretty well. Wow! 25 pounds of walleye! Almost like lake Erie!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts