close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where's that giant bass???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jitterbug, May 24, 2005.

1. Flathunter's post reminded me how big the bass in Ohio have the potential to grow. I've always wondered how big a bass would grow in the waters that I fish. I'm mostly in northern Ohio, so I'm sure they don't get that big, but used to fish in southern Ohio all the time.

I'd never want Flathunter to disclose the location of this treasured fish. I would however like to get everyone's input on the lake they think is most like the "secret" lake. What lake in southern Ohio do you feel has the potential to hold this fish. My best guess is Ross lake. However, there are many good small lakes in this area. This could be a fun little exercise for those who are familiar with Southern Ohio waters. List your guesses here. Flathunter can sit back and laugh at our responses :)

2. I was thinking Ross lake too!
    Also I think AEP could have a state record some place.

3. catking

catking Banned

Probably a nice sized farm pond for one . Lake Lorelei (private) is another... As far a public .............Paint Creek Lake or Rocky Fork Lake..... I'd bet my life on one orf those ........well , maybe my cattin skills... :cool: ... Good Thread by the way !!! CATKING

4. catking -- I thought about paint creek as well. There are also some VERY good small lakes farther south. The "public" lake was a good clue and helps weed out some of the better private waters in southern Ohio. This should prove to be some interesting reading. Maybe some can share some big bass stories originating in southern Ohio. I've got one, but it was a private lake ;)

5. No record bass in:

Rocky Fork
    Paint Creek
    Or AEP

I have fished them, and if the BIG bass was in there…I would have caught her! :D

Now, by process of elimination, Ross Lake must hold the Ohio State Record Largemouth Bass.

6. catking

catking Banned

The reason I mentioned Lorelei is the fact that somebody I know caught not one but two ten pounders out of that lake........... I also know of two nice big farm ponds that are owned by a State University that they do research at and they let myself, brother and dad fish there regularly and it contains HUGE bass.. It's in extreme southeren Ohio ......... CATKING

7. catking

catking Banned

I guess the bassers can by-pass RockyFork , AEP & Paint Creek now......... :rolleyes: .... :D I still say Paint Creek Lake :cool:

8. So what your saying King is you won't have much to give up then right? :eek: :D This is a good thinker post. I would say that maybe Antrim. Hell it had the state record saugeye. Ok so that's a stretch. I don't know any of the lakes all that well so I will just have to believe you guys.

9. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

how about Ladue?!!!!!!!!!!

10. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

My first guess before this thread was started was Ross Lake also. I know some people who have caught many 5 pounders and i believe one over 8 lbs. This was several years ago and it was released. If it is Ross lake that old bass has seen every lure in the world thrown it's way so good luck getting it to bite. Not bad for a lake that never gets stocked. Rumor is that the state does not stock the lake b/c they are doing studies on The reproduction of the LMB. I wish I owned stock in D&K bait shop. I bet his business increases tenfold. Guess where I'm going tonight? lol BBY

11. It would be cool if it was Ross, but I think it is important to remember that these are only guesses. It could be any of the ones mentioned, but there are also several others not mentioned yet. I've always heard that Jackson Lake holds some big bass but the fishing has been really down there. There are a few other smaller lakes around Jackson. Ross has some nice fish in it as I've caught several and have heard of others. It does get fished pretty hard the last time I checked. Best bet there would be a big ol live bait offering.

Flathunter does not stay in one area which makes this question even more difficult :D It is just fun to hear what others think are some of the better waters in the south.

12. I think most of the lakes in Ohio are hiding some serious lunkers. The DNR guys electrofished up an 11 lber out of Caesar's Creek about 12-15 years ago. No one I know would ever dream of calling that lake a trophy bass lake so it just goes to prove about any lake you fish has record potential. Most of us don't use the right baits to catch those bigger bass. Who knows what you might pull up if you made an effort to hit your favorite lake with an over-sized swim bait for a year or two?

My guess would be Jackson Lake.

Steve

13. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

My brother caught a 7# 9 oz LM out of CC about 15 years ago. I was the net man.

14. Dang that guy for netting that fish. Here I had the market on getting the new record. Now I will have every one in my way. :D

15. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

guys you are forgeting about the many state forest lakes in the area!

16. Nice, a little tip from the MAN himself. Does not help me at all though. Thanks for keeping it fun flat.

17. Flathunter -- That is what I was thinking when I made reference to several of the other smaller lakes in the area. I can't recall the names off hand. Looks like we'll all have our maps out tonight pinpointing seveal possible locations! Here I thought you'd get to sit on the sidelines for this discussion :) Yes, thanks for keeping this fun.

JB

18. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I have trouble keeping a secrete, it is one of the lakes listed below :D

Lake Logan- hocking county

Stewart Lake-scioto trails state forest

Jackson Lake- HAMMERTOWN

Ross Lake

Lake white

Rose lake- tar hollow state forest

Lake Vesuvius

19. I still like Ross, but I think out of that selection I would have to guess Rose Lake or Lake White. I'll put my vote for Lake White.