close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where's a good place for saugeyes

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by joe01, Nov 5, 2004.

1. joe01

joe01 Functional Fisherman

I never went saugeye fishing before and I know the big drink is going to be nast all weekend. So Where is a good Place to try? and should I use husky or jigs? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT????

CHASEIN TAIL OR FISHIN HARD CHOISE?????

2. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

Assuming from your posting in the Northeast section, Atwood would be the closest. Tappan, Clendenning, Piedmont, Salt Fork, Seneca, and Leesville are other lakes not much further than Atwood. I'd concentrate on flats and dropoffs, casting bladebaits up onto the top edges and working them down the drops. Vertical jigging bladebaits in the deeper water off the drops is another option. Larger live baits, like Chubs or Suckers, are another productive option at this time of year. Jig/minnow or jig/plastic, w/or w/out minnow will also catch fish but not usually of the same quality. If you favor jerkbaits work them s-l-o-w-l-y right now.

3. joe01

Thanks Corey I put my boat away for winter is there any spillways I can hit hard at any of those places???

4. Corey

Corey OGF Team-Charter Member

They are taking good numbers and size Saugeyes from all the spillway systems right now. The area outside of Tippecanoe where the Clendenning spillway joins the Piedmont arm has been doing very well, as has the Tusc. There are good holes in the Tappan arm and in the Stillwater where they should be doing well also. I'm getting good reports of fish clear down through the Coshocton area. Atwood spillway can be iffy but great if you hit it right.

5. joe01

Can someone give me directions on how to get to Tippecanoe where the Clendenning spillway joins the Piedmont arm has been doing very well there for saugeyes.
    And Can you fish way past dark?????? I want to go tonight I went and picked up some vibs and more jigs and some husky 10 and 12

6. joe01

Its a 2 hour dirve from wellingtion. Is there anywhere a little closer to the house then tippecanoe

7. wellington has some nice walleye in it. few and far between but there are some decent fish.

8. joe01

ya it does but far and few is the problem? The best I ever did is 3 eyes in one day and thats very good for wellington

9. Dingo

Dingo

What about Charles Mill spillway or Pleasant Hill spillway (clear fork)? Both have decent saugeye populations and aren't really too far from Wellington. The other alternative would be beach city (near rte 250), but I have never done very well there. A bit longer drive than the other two, and not worth the extra effort.

10. joe01

I think I will try Charle Mill Spill way tonight! Now how do you get to the spill way?

Thank all of you for your help?

11. Dingo

Dingo

Check out the map link on the home page www.ohiogamefishing.com. The spillway is located off sr 603, which intersects rte 42 southwest of Ashland, on the south end of the lake. If the conditions aren't to our liking, you can continue south on 603 to Pleasant Hill.