close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where would you go.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by Stampede, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Around first couple weeks of may you got a long weekend.You want someplace to go to catch bass and catfish.What lake would you go to in ky. or oh.

2. catking

catking Banned

Seeing how you have that nice boat, I'd go to Lake Barkley in Kentucky. It's not far, full of giant blue cats, nice bass and crappies, just a nice area.In Ohio, with your boat, maybe Mosquito up in the northeast. But I still like Barkley for a long weekend get away. CATKING.

3. I'd go to Presque Isle Bay in Erie, PA. Fish either in the bay for lgmouth and maybe smallmouths or fish Erie for trophy smallmouths. I'm sure there cat's there too...

4. catking

catking Banned

From what Bill was saying in the chat room, that place is awsome!! Be worth the trip there. CATKING. ;)

5. I know someone that fished Presque Isle bay over the weekend, they caught a 35" Pike and 37" Tiger Musky (which I guess there aren't alot of there) + 30 LgMouth bass. They were fishing for lgmouth.

6. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

How far is Presque isle bay.I've never been on the big lake and wouldn't know what to expect.What's the water like.Wavey,choppy,rough.Anyone hear of geis creek in ky?Ihope i spelled it right.I guess when i think of erie,i think BIG lake,big boats and rough waters. :eek:

7. I checked your profile and it says you live in Botavia. I went to mapquest.com and it says from Botavia to Erie, Pennsylvania it is 350 miles and about 5 1/2hrs drive. Your thinking of Lake Erie right, BIG Lake, big boats and sometimes rough waters. In Presque Isle Bay it also can get rough but its protected somewhat and more often than not can be fished without a problem.

I use the Weather Radio and Online to determine whether I make the drive to Lake Erie or not. The forecast is the same whether you have a weather radio or you just check online. Both are updated from the National Weather Service.

Online I goto: http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/lmm.html and go down to the Lake Erie. It's broken down into different areas. For Presque Isle there are 2 links, one for on shore to 5 miles out which is: http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/LE/149.html

and another which is for beyond 5 Nautical Miles:

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/LE/169.html

For me I have a 20 Foot Bass boat. If the waves are 3 feet or less predicted then I go. If the waves are bigger than 3 feet I don't go. That report is not always right from NWS but it's a good gauge. Often times you can get out in the mornings to fish and then waves will build up by afternoon and then subside again in the evening. You just have to respect mother nature and Lake Erie. It is a big lake and you have to treat it as such. Also when I"m Bass fishing on Lake Erie I never go out more than a mile from shore. I do go east or west of Presque Isle bay but not far from shore. It gets deep pretty quickly and there's no need to go more than 1 mile from shore, most of the time you less than 3/4 mile and still in 35 feet or less.

Lake Erie is in a class all by itself for smallmouth bass fishing. Presque Isle bay is part of Lake Erie and in the spring the smallmouth come in to spawn because the bay warms up sooner than the lake. It's a pretty safe bet that you'll be able to fish Presque Isle bay on most days if you have a 16 foot boat or bigger. The bay itself has many of protected lagoons and ponds you can fish and provide even more protection but some are shallow and require you to troll around.

I hope this gives you a better perspective on whether Lake Erie and particulary Presque Isle Bay portion is right for you.

8. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Presque isle sounds like a good place and i know the smallmouth fishing is great and i love smallmouth but i don't know if the wife will handle the wave action. :eek: I'll probally have to go there when she's not coming with me.For now i'm leaning towards lake barkley or dale hallow.Anyone got recomendations for places to stay and areas to go.