Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My nephew graduated from high school in June and would like to take a fishing trip (preferably in Ohio for expense reasons) before he starts his college classes. Other than lake erie is there a place in Ohio which would give him a really good chance at catching some nice fish during the middle of august. We are leaning toward alum creek reservoir but haven't really decided. This is mainly because there is a good selection of different fish. I realize this isn't a very good time to be fishing in Ohio except river flatheads.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
841 Posts
I keep hearing about salf fork? Maybe try there or talk to guys that fish their. Lot's of good fishing, but not saying this from experience just from hearing others talk.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
yea, alum creek def wouldnt be my first choice...or 2,3,4,5th choice.lol not in august. if fishing for bass get a small boat, canoe, or crawdad and float the scioto or darby creek, nice smallies. if you taking a boat, dont rule out erie, fish for lm in the west or east harbor. as far as central ohio goes, oshay or griggs can always give up some fish just have to work harder for them. that is for bass though. griggs has soooo many bluegills u could catch them all day long.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
If I was going on a "fishing trip" and not leaving OH and wasnt going to Erie, I'd be headed to AEP. Excellent fishing there. You have to get off the beaten path to get to the good ponds but its well worth the hiking!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm with BassBlaster, AEP not only has great fishing, but also you can do it cheap. I believe, but may be wrong, camping is free there. I'm sure if I am wrong someone can correct me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess another possibility is pleasant hill primarily because of the varied fish available. Does anyone have thoughts on pleasant hill. I am checking into the AEP possibilities. I remember people mentioning them in the past

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes camping is free there. All you have to do is go to their website and download a permit and fill it out. That is good for life I do believe. Not a bad deal. I like to camp there but the rest of the family does not due to being a primitive camp.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Banned
1,088 Posts
What part of the state are you coming from? What type of eguipment do you have? (boat, canoe) What types of fish do you generally fish for? (panfish, bass, cats, eyes, skis) How long are you staying?

Alum Creek should be your last choice. Seems to be a traditionally tough lake for most of us.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am coming from SW ohio near Caesar Creek. We scratch out some fish here but know that this is nowhere near being a top lake in ohio. I have a 19' fish n ski I/O with a bow mounted trolling motor. If someone highly recommended a lake like pymatuning over anything else I would seriously consider it.

I really prefer fishing for saugeye but enjoy fishing for smallmouth, largemouth, pike, (not readily available in ohio) and panfish. We would be happy fishing with a mixed bag of fish and going after panfish during mid day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts