Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
should slow down
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there anywhere you dont eat fish from.. if you do at all.. lol..

i have never eaten anything out of GMR fished in it lots but was always told as a kid not to eat anything from there

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
my fish tank but then again i dont fish where i have been told not to eat them

·
Fishing Fool
283 Posts
GMR, Mad River below Spfld, and say what you will, Indian Lake.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
the list of places I will is much shorter than were I wont. I will eat fish from krogers, mcdonalds, and a few streams not to be mentioned. really though, I'll eat saugeye from most places, just to get them out, even the gmr(a couple times a year at most). just dont eat large predators, flatheads, hybrid stripers over 4-5lbs, big channels, muskie (or smallies for respects sake); or older benthic fishes, carp and buffalo, and you will be fine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree w Riverking; but, the taste of gravel-pit fish is hard for me to beat. River fish like white bass, saugers, striped bass all taste different than lake fish to me. Saugers do beat other river fish hands-down as far as taste goes; but, in general, I just don't like them from the river though they are safe to eat in moderation.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
My brothers freezer. He if very protective of those fish. Strange thing is my dad or me put most of them in there.

As for the water ways. I am more of type of fish than where. Crappie, trout, the eye fish, and catfish are sure to be coming home from almost anywhere I can catch them except the Mad. I may take two trout a year from the Mad. As for the others I really do not eat that much fish except trout and crappie.

Tried some cats out of the Ohio a few years ago and they were just plan nasty tasting. So no fish from the Ohio.

·
gray panther
701 Posts
the list of places I will is much shorter than were I wont. I will eat fish from krogers, mcdonalds, and a few streams not to be mentioned. really though, I'll eat saugeye from most places, just to get them out, even the gmr(a couple times a year at most). just dont eat large predators, flatheads, hybrid stripers over 4-5lbs, big channels, muskie (or smallies for respects sake); or older benthic fishes, carp and buffalo, and you will be fine.
I'm wondering why you would eat fish from Korgers and McDonalds when we have no idea where those fish come from?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I grew up eating white bass out of the Sandusky river -- I think we would bring home 3-4 coolers full of filets every year, and it didn't kill me, but sure made me more of a beef lover as an adult. I wouldn't consider eating anything out of the GMR around here, either. I will only eat panfish if they were caught in a spring fed lake, and only farm-raised cats. Even as clean as the Mad looks, I know there are times when raw sewage can get dumped in there, like when there are heavy rains and the wastewater plants flood.

·
Retired UPS
489 Posts
Grand Lake Saint Marys is a never and gmr not anymore.The best fish to eat is striper from Norris Lake,Tn hands down.

·
Eat Em Up Charters
3,614 Posts
I will not eat any fish from the local rivers (Ohio, LMR, GMR) I will keep fish from larger state park lakes (CC, East Fork, Deer Creek) I mainly only keep saugeye, crappie, and catfish anyway. I also keep a lot of saltwater fish when I catch them each year.

·
Team Bowman/Sayres
477 Posts
i dont really fish rivers, so i cant say, i have always been told not to eat fish out of the ohio.
The indiana fishing/rec guide has a purty good sized thing on the types of fish, and whats a recommend "dose" to eat. Seems like for the most part, any panfish is the safest way to go. The larger predator fish are generally the ones with the highest chance for heavy metal contaminates, only carp rank higher.(i think that guide is online, if your really interested in the subject, its kinda neat).
Fished a tournament at grand lake st.marys, and after seeing all the dead shad and goop in the water, thats a big pass for me, although im sure theres nothing wrong with it, just kinda turns my stomach to even hear that name...lol
For me, just about any lake i'll eat panfish and crappies and walleye/saugeye.
I dont eat alot of catfish, but the ones i do are small, for me the smaller the better. Would like to find some good eating sized flatheads, those are some fine table fare.

HB:G

1 - 13 of 13 Posts