Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let the debate begin, what body of water, besides the Ohio do you think has the best chance for a state record flathead? I might be mistaken, but the Ohio is not considered Ohio water anyway, correct?

While I have not heard reports any flatheads even approaching the current record of 76 lbs, I would hate to think that there is not one out there.:B

·
average guy
135 Posts
If I had to guess besides the Ohio, I would say one of three places. Tappan, Piedmont or Seneca. Caught one at Tappan this past year that was my PB. Over 50lbs. I think any one of these three could have a state record in them

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Always wanted to try all 3 of those. Wife originally from Woodsfield so I fish out of powhatten a lot on Ohio.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the Scioto river up to about Chillicothe could have a state record.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Let the debate begin, what body of water, besides the Ohio do you think has the best chance for a state record flathead? I might be mistaken, but the Ohio is not considered Ohio water anyway, correct?

While I have not heard reports any flatheads even approaching the current record of 76 lbs, I would hate to think that there is not one out there.:B
If it isn't an Ohio waterway, then why do I have to abide by OHIO rules when fishing? Why are there OHIO limits ? Why do you need an OHIO boat license? Why can I only keep 30 Whites & Hybrids when the rest of the state is unlimited? One of the best OHIO waterways if you know what you're doing.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
probly pay pond LOL
Or even just someone's private pond/lake. Our state is messed up and state records are allowed to be caught out of private water, so grow 'em big and get your name in the books:D:(

Honestly though, I have no idea since I'm not a flathead fisherman. There's gotta be a monster lurking in the Ohio though.

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts
Or even just someone's private pond/lake. Our state is messed up and state records are allowed to be caught out of private water, so grow 'em big and get your name in the books:D:(

Honestly though, I have no idea since I'm not a flathead fisherman. There's gotta be a monster lurking in the Ohio though.
Privately owned ponds do count, but pay lakes do not. I'd say one of the muskingum lakes. (I believe Piedmont held the record at one time if I'm not mistaken)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Pushin' Tin
4,518 Posts

Any record fish caught out of the Ohio river will count towards the books.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
805 Posts
Muskingum river and watershed

+1 here.. I've only fished the muskingum once and that was ages ago befoee I really knew the difference of catfish or truly appreciated fishing but I caught two cats there that when placed in a 5gallon bucket they extended out over a foot each.. also seen a guys live well that had massive ones.. given I said ages ago meaning I was a mere ten maybe so all I knkw was they were big catfish and it was awesome!. But I'm sure that river system still hold massive flats and possibly even a state record could be lurking in its depths

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
A former neighbor of mine moved to Meigs county several yrs ago caught and released a 82 lb flathead in the Ohio River about 3 yrs ago he showed me pics of it when I visited him last yr I told him why didnt he take the record with he said he didnt want to kill it and freeze it for a piece of paper he weighed it and took some pics and its still swimming .I have no reason not to believe the ol guy it was a huge fish by the pic you could see it was alot bigger compared to my 56.5 # fish

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
all fish caught in Ohio River along the WV border would be counted as a WV record since they own the entire river, even if caught from Ohio Bank. along Ky border, the catch would have to be within the 100 foot boundry ( Give or take) to count as an Ohio Record, so if you caught it from mid river which is owned by KY and you fished with a reciprocal license ( Ohio ) but did not have a KY License the record would not count, Happened to a catfish buddy of mine last Spring....

Salmonid

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd say the big scioto river has a good chance of breaking the record. Caught quite a few last year down around Lucasville in the 30's and 40's. My buddy hooked into one that he couldn't do anything with. It swam down river then turned up river pulling drag like it wasn't even there the whole time. After fighting this fish for 10 minutes it spit the hook. He said its the biggest fish he's ever hooked. And he caught a 65 Ib flathead out of the Ohio River about 10 years ago.

·
HeWhoDiesWithTheMostToysWins
5,164 Posts
+1 here.. I've only fished the muskingum once and that was ages ago befoee I really knew the difference of catfish or truly appreciated fishing but I caught two cats there that when placed in a 5gallon bucket they extended out over a foot each.. also seen a guys live well that had massive ones.. given I said ages ago meaning I was a mere ten maybe so all I knkw was they were big catfish and it was awesome!. But I'm sure that river system still hold massive flats and possibly even a state record could be lurking in its depths

+2!!
Our hunting camp is on the Muskingum,,, Now I don't get to fish it much, but when we do, MANY cats get landed,,, 'cause they're ALL SMALL! :eek:
Our farmer friend has shown us many pics, where the cats are in the back of pick-up trucks, TOUCHING BOTH WHEEL WELLS! 4' +.
They're IN THERE!

·
Waiting For Spring
21 Posts
Probably a private pond someone keeps full of bluegill with one big flathead thrown into it...I know a few instances of.this happening and making some big catfish swell up like whales.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
176 Posts
all fish caught in Ohio River along the WV border would be counted as a WV record since they own the entire river, even if caught from Ohio Bank. along Ky border, the catch would have to be within the 100 foot boundry ( Give or take) to count as an Ohio Record, so if you caught it from mid river which is owned by KY and you fished with a reciprocal license ( Ohio ) but did not have a KY License the record would not count, Happened to a catfish buddy of mine last Spring....

Salmonid
Theres no way if you catch a fish in Ohio it would be considered WV...
How is that possible?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts

Salmonid
Wow, what fish did he get that didn't count? This sounds like an awful but interesting case. What are the details and/or lessons to be learned?!?

How is it that Kentuckey owns most the river and Ohio gets only 100'? I would think that ownership would be to the middle of the Ohio waterway for both? Don't understand the logic or history on this?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts