Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been out since Mon. evening. There was some nice fish north west of the Crib 54-56 ft. has anyone been out since the storms blew thru ? I would like to get into some eyes trolling. I am planning on being out Sat. eve, it would be nice to talk to some of you fine OGF folks on ch 68 ????
Life is Good! can't wait to get back out there!

·
PeerlessII Cleveland
439 Posts
I was out last night in 62' straight behind the crib. We set lines at 5:30 and quit a few minutes after sunset. 23 walleye including a 10.8# 30" hog and 2 steelhead. 20 and 40 jets, riggers, and slide divers all caught fish. Silver small Peerless spoons with orange and green tape were the ticket.

·
Duck Enemy #1
220 Posts
Sounds nice Hope to get out. Have the weather up on my screen for the rest of the day trying to decide.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Peerless, got a question on the riggers, I haven't been able to get mine going. I keep getting a small whitebass or just no hits. How deep have you been running yours. I've been running mine @ 30-35 ft with spoons when around the crib area, I'm thinking too deep ??? That seemed to work last year for me, but I'm pretty new @ using them. Thanks !

·
PeerlessII Cleveland
439 Posts
The depth varies from day to day. I have 4 riggers so I usually set them all at different depths to see what works. Last night 32' worked. I also vary the amount of line out before I hook up the release. Last night I sent them back 25'. The walleye usually like a longer lead ,30-35' . Steelhead 15 or 20. Earlier this year I was running shallow diving plugs 50' back 8' down with good success.

·
85 Posts
That is very interesting, I never thought to run shallow divers 8' down and 50 back on riggers. I guess I was in the 'downrigger means down deep' mentality. Always ran mine at least 20 down. Just goes to show that sometimes you have to think outside the box. Thanks for expanding my thinking!

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,459 Posts
I fish will Peerless many times per year, he like to run riggers all the time regardless of how deep he is fishing and even for what he is fishing, Riggers are something you need to experiment with, he catch fish on riggers using all different techniques, he has the sweet Cannon's Digi-Trolls that will cycle up and down and have a trasducer built into the rigger so they can track bottom, you can set them to always be like 5 foot above the bottom even if the depth changes. pretty cool stuff, he does well on spoons, harnesses and shallow cranks ALL the time, even uses them for the nightbite and smokes fish on them running them just the way he said.

Your right you do have to think out of the box, I said that earlier in the week.. Hmmm.... Remember they are for controlled depth fishing regardless of what depth that might be, could be 5 or 50 down.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Went out today (Friday a.m.) with "emrducks" and picked 3 tickets due north of the crib in 52' to 56'. picked a lot of fish in the 55-56' range but a friend picked a two man limit in short order in 52'. We had a hard time pickin' our last fish then pulled lines and went to the 52' depth and wham! Picked our last one and a bonus one in a couple of minutes which we returned to catch another day. Worm harnesses were hot. Big dipsey, #1 setting, 90 back. Speed 2 to 2.7. Got fish on "Ole Pete's" also. Kevorkian, mixed veggies. Lost our first 4 fish in the morning. Bad leader line we think. We'll never see those spoons again!

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,459 Posts
Thanks for the good report, Cleveland will be cooking good for a little while yet. Man I can't wait to get out on sunday. Guess reading about it is second best :B

·
612 Posts
If you've got downrigers, I've done well stacking them. I usually run near botton with the ball and then run the second release at 30' or sometimes 45', depending on where the fish are holding. Also, go electric...cranking 8lbs up and down all day gets old fast.

We boated a 4 man ticket in the Edgewater Tourny the other week and ran mostly big stingers, northern kings and pro kings. Lost 1 big steelie in 53 FOW, just NE of the crib. 2.2-2.7 speed on GPS.

Big Dipsy with ring, at a 2 setting, 100 feet back was the most active. Steelie hit a # 1 setting with 65 feet out...running at 30 feet or so.

Dock Time on 68

·
PeerlessII Cleveland
439 Posts
When I'm fishing for steelies I always run a slider. I run the ball down 40-50' with a spoon or a harness at the ball. The slider is just a leader with a snap swivel on both ends. I usually use a small spoon on the slider. The slider will travel to the middle of the arc in your line. Two lures without any extra hardware.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the great replies, this is only my second year using the riggers, I usually am out by myself, so I'll use just one then my other line will be a dipsey/jet. Got lots to learn, lots to try...thanks for all the help. This really is a great resource ! Have a great day !

·
Duck Enemy #1
220 Posts
Probably a little late, but slept in this AM

hit 17 eyes from 6 to 9 pm. Most in 55 fow NE of the crib. All fish on outside Dipseys 3 setting 105 feet back. Orange Crush was the ticket. Thanks to the OGF'ers who helped me find them!

Picked up my first lake going Steelie. Man, its no joke when they hit the rod! Glad I took shortdrifts advice and loosened the drags! Rod just went BANG BANG BANG and ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz Was pulling in a walleye and had to stick the rod back in the holder and forget about him just to keep the chromer from spooling me...

Will be back out this evening. Same Area. Ill shout on the radio.

·
Registered
367 Posts
bang bang ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz,,,,,,, man i feel like i'm right there in the boat! i love that!

that sound makes me feel like a kid on christmas!!!!!!!!!

yeah, i always set the drag just tight enough to hold (with the clicker on) and then when a fish hits, you get an audible indication if you miss the visual. really helpful to me because i go alone a lot and i'd miss some strikes otherwise. i took one of my neighbors kids out who's never hooked a chromer (as you call 'em) and we hooked two along with our walleye limits. i got a kick out of seeing him when those steelies where jumping behind the boards like a freshwater marlin!

·
useless poster
8,804 Posts
sometimes they don't even pull drag.especially on the riggers. we have seen them jumping behind the boat and thaught (WHAT?) then realize he's on our rod because thats a dipsey he's pulling out of the water with him.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Last monday eve we went 1-3 on steelies. One of the misses ripped line but did not take a solid hookup and was off. That unhooked fish jumped twice just to laugh.....and flip us off.

The nerve of some fish! Ya gotta love their attitude.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts