close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where to purchase a 9.9?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by Dingo, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Dingo

Dingo

Reading the "big debate" thread got me thinking about purchasing a motor for an older boat which currently used electrics to this point. Fine for the electric-only lakes but lacking in the bigger bodies of water. I'm planning on purchasing a 9.9 to keep me in the ballgame at the 10hp lakes (like leesville), and would probably go with a 4-stroke if purchasing new, since the motor will outlive the boat and be placed on the next one.

Where should I start looking for a possible purchase? Specific boat shops, but retailers (basspro, cabalas, etc), others? I would be looking in the northeast or central Ohio area. Who makes the best/most reliable 9.9 these days?

2. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I've purchased a couple different outboard motors in the past few years. I never had a single problem with Mercury motors. I like that the forward/neutral/reverse is incorporated into the throttle handle. Vic's Sports Center always had the best price by a couple hundred dollars. You could probably save more if you ask if they have any leftover '03 or '04 models available.

They can be reached at 330-673-7600, ask for Tom or Victor.

I am in no way affiliated with them, just been given good, old fashioned service with a smile from them.

3. bassteaser1

bassteaser1 Feared by all that swim

I just went to the boat and Rv show and talked to a guy from Knox Marine and he showed me the new Mercury 9.9 4 stroke and said it was lighter than the 2 stroke.It did look smaller but I didn't catch the price.