close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where to go?

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by GoneFishin'23, Mar 6, 2005.

1. I'm somewhat new to Central Ohio and looking for some advice on good places to go. I grew up in WV and did a lot of small stream or creek fishing in the late spring /summer months for Smallmouth and Trout.

2. TexasRigged

TexasRigged Lover of all things wet.

I have had some luck at the Big Darby for smallies.

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Try the scioto River, and deer creek.

4. What part of Central Ohio? There are many places to wade and just trying to figure out the closest to you.

5. bassteaser1

bassteaser1 Feared by all that swim

I have no real favorites but on a hot summer day I'll drive around and follow a map and just look for access to a creek with good looking water and try it.It's fun to do and it does waste some time on unproductive spots but you'll normally find yourself a few honeyholes of your own you can always go back to and fish.Us fisherman take great mental notes of hot spots but have no memory to what we were told 5 minutes ago to pick up from the grocery store.Big Walnut has been pretty good to me and if you can find a place to squeeze a little boat in I like fishing between Griggs and Downtown in the River.

6. striperfreak

striperfreak stripes and smallies

olentangy river between worthington and deleware is good small streamin, also below oshaunnesy dam and 161 is good. smallies catfish and saugeye

7. To find any good creek fishin' around here....just park and start walking, get as far away as you can.

Directly below Griggs dam used to be awesome, I could go down there with worms and catch tons of fish........not anymore. Hopefully in a couple more years in will be better down there since they blocked it off, now the lazies can't go down with their R&R softcraws and take every smallie and rockbass they catch.

Below Greenlawn dam is still pretty good......it will get a little better without that platform down there. You really don't know what you'll catch down below that dam :rolleyes:

I have had great action in really small creeks, not going to name names, but in some spots the creek is no wider than 20'......small jigs and roostertails worked great this past year. I would walk several hundred yards, up to and over a mile. Hit a hole, catch some fish and move to the next one.

8. WINNER

WINNER I hate Cleveland.

:)

Finally someone with some sense on this board! :)

Winner

9. Try to hit some of the creeks for the white bass run in the spring. Lots of good places around central Ohio and when you get into them its nothing to catch 100 or more in a day. What part of WV are you from? I have some family in Elkins and used to go down there in the summer and fish in a few small streams and did great on smallies and trout. There was a bigger river that we fished that I think was the East Fork?

10. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

Where?

I too fish the small creeks and streams. I'm going to check out three creeks park. It is a Columbus Metro park so you can find out about it through their website. I fish Big Walnut often. Good luck!

11. Drive around........if you go over a bridge with a tiny creek under it....come back to it someday and walk it........when I say tiny creek, I'm talkin' it makes little darby look like the Scioto. Now....if the creek is 4' wide and barely has any water :rolleyes: you figure it out ;)

I've stood 3' away from a mess of limbs and trees...tossing small jigs in and catching several rockies and 'gills.

My best creek gear is my 7'6 m/l with 2500 stradic with 6lb. I like using the longer rod so I can drop the jigs in straight above the mess. Small roadrunners, 2" power grubs in white and chartreuse, roostertails and small cranks. I'll also take some hooks and shot and a small net to catch fresh softcraws and use them in the larger sections of the creek.