close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where to go?

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by nwfish, Nov 24, 2008.

1. I hope to be fishing for steelhead for the first time ever this Wednesday and would like some suggestions on where to go. Specifically which river (Rocky, Chagrin, Grand..??) and then maybe some different spots along a particular river. Is it better to be closer to Lake Erie right now or farther away? I've heard of Daniel's Park being descent, but other than that I really don't know the area. Any help or suggestions I would appreciate. I'm coming from Northwest Ohio so the drive doesn't really matter whether it's 2 or 3 hours. I just want to catch my first steelie, regardless of size. Thanks again.

2. I would try the Rocky. It's the closest river to you with good fishing reports. Right now there are fish spread throughout the entire river, so you really can't go wrong. If you're not sure what you're doing, try the marina or Fords and pay attention to what others are doing.

3. Thanks guys, btw ffbg congrats on your steelie. I think I will go with the Rocky and it looks like if I just take I90 I should be right by the Marina and Fords. Is it possible to fish from shore and then if I do wade, about how deep does it get to where you start fishing? I realize the levels are not constant, but if anyone has been there recently, I'm assuming it will be about the same.

4. Thanks nwfish, I am also new to steelhead fishing and had the slightest idea where to begin. I have only been twice and plan on being on rock bright and early Wednesday morning, so if you see me say hey ill be weaingr that same hat.
    Hey nwfish, Look through the old steelhead forum and you will find some good threads with information on where to begin. I have a buddy from Avon Lake and knows the rocky pretty well so he has been showing me the ins and outs. There is an erie outfitters out that way, some one on here can give you better directions than me. Tight Lines FFBG

5. Well guys, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but things are not looking good right now for fishing the Rock on Wed 11/26. The Rocky spiked up from about 175cfs to 478cfs as of 9:30am all overnight. Since we are getting a rain snow mix that is supposed to persist all day and the temps are above freezing I expect that the river will continue to rise even more. Even at just 478cfs but rising I would say that the river will make for poor fishing conditions. You guys may want to consider fishing the Vermilion instead. As of now at least, the river is still running low and has not yet risen with this precipitation. That could all change very quickly though so I'd suggest you keep an eye on the flow gage http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?04199500. If you guys are coming into town for other reasons anyways then you may still want to give it a go, but if you were coming only to fish, you may want to postpone the trip.

John

6. Yeah i saw that this morning before work. Ill be heading home to dayton for Thanksgiving and was hopeing to make a trip to the rocky before but it looks like ill have to wait. Im Hopeing the river will crest soon and make its way down to be fishable later this weekend. Ill watch the flow of the V and Rocky and check back later. FFBG

7. Hey guys, thanks for the tip about the river levels. We decided to hold off until the water comes down a bit. Do you think it might be ready be Friday? If not, might have to wait until Christmas time.