close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where to get egg sacks.

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by GaryV311, Dec 10, 2007.

1. GaryV311

GaryV311 Trout Hunter

I live in in Parma. (south west of Cleveland) Just wondering where to get Good, Fresh, egg sacks. Also wondering how to fish with them. Tired of goin home empty handed..... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. dicks has them but not always the best shape but they are fresh. best bet is to find a friendly fisherman on the water and strike up a conversation. tell him yr new and they almost always give you the freshest of fresh sacks. Just use common sense and be cool, and most guys are real nice, and willing to help as long as yr respectful.

As far as using them, search the threads here for plenty of info. But in general, get some egg sack hooks from dicks, and some BB split shots. Put hook under thin float and use shot about 12'' from sack. Try to learn to get them to the bottom using shots. Watch closely what others are using and you'll figure it out. Look up drifting spawn sacks here, or google it. hope this helps get ya started

3. Gary,

It's a short haul out there but Erie Outfitters sells the best eggs. He sells them fresh and curred. I usually buy the curred and I'm still catching fish on frozen ones from two years ago. Just tie them up in dime to nickel sized sacks (depending on water clarity), use a couple split shots to get the bait down and you'll be good. You'll want to be ticking bottom every so often.

4. GaryV311

GaryV311 Trout Hunter

So you can freeze them and they'll still work?

5. I get mine from Erieshore Beverage & Bait store in Willoughby. They are called sticky salmon eggs. I make sacks with them and have used them up to 2 yrs, depending on how big or small I make the sacks.

6. Yep, you can freeze them and they'll still work. Just make sure it's as air tight as possible when you freeze them.

7. I heard that Erie Outfitters and Gander Mountain have good spawn sacks. I bought some from Erie and they were cured, I didn't know he sells both so I guess it's my fault for not being more specific. I would always get fresh eggs!

If you do not know "cured" is when they soak the eggs in boric acid so they swell up. I don't know why they do this but assume its because you could fill up a sack with less eggs since they plump up.

The best eggs are the ones straight from the belly of the fish but you need to catch a fish first. Like the one post said, just try to strike up a conversation, thats how my friend got are first "fresh" sacks. Then you can catch you own female and get the eggs, go buy the netting and thread and make your own. Good Luck!

PM me if you are going fishing, I'm always game and will bring you some spawn, I'm from Elyria but go to the Rocky and Vermillion.

As far as techniques, search my post I explain what I do to catch them. I'm fairly new myself though but a quick learner.:B

8. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Gander has jars of cured eggs in orange and red, I picked up some already tied sacs as well as the jar and tied up some bigger ones with different color netting. once you get your work area layed out you can tied up a pile of them in no time, not as fun as tying spinner rigs but since it's winter it give me something to do.

9. How many eggs sacks do you guys use per outing? I have been using 30-40 sacks in 6 hours drifting.

Here is my refrigerator:

[​IMG]

10. mepps I see you are having a egg shortage.

11. :eek: Mepps, I see where all the hens went. I started to wonder why I'm catching only males, jk.

Hope steelhead are not extinct next year! :D

12. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

just ask mepps for some haha.

13. DOes rodmakers cary fresh eggs/sacks?

14. Mepps, what kind of eggs do you primarily use? I'll take some off of your hands if you want :)

15. K gonefishin

K gonefishin Eye Slayer

Yes they do.

16. Eggs are cured to preserve them. Cured eggs last for months refridgerated or even for up to 2 years in the freezer. I wouldn't say that the cures that I have used caused the eggs to swell much if at all. I started the season using Atlas brand Shake 'N' Cure but recently started using 'Eg-Cure' from Erie Outfitters which leaves the eggs much more natural than the Atlas brand. To me, it's a real waste to kill a fish every time out for spawn if you're not going to eat the fish. I've been fishing quite a lot this year, (and use spawn for bait the most), and have only had to cut open two fish so far.

17. GaryV311

GaryV311 Trout Hunter

I think I will give up on the Dick's eggs... No pun intended. :D I'll hit up Rodmakers and see how those do. This has turned out to be one very informative thread. Thanks to ALL of you guys!

18. E.O. is the ONLY place that I know of around here that properly cures FRESH eggs.

19. Thanks jojopro! I was wondering about that also, how do you guys store your eggs between outings?? I heard to freeze them but also heard to just put them in the fridge. Can you do either with fresh eggs or only curred?

I agree on not killing the fish for the eggs, the ones I got was from a fish that was ate.

Thanks for the tips!

P.S. How many hens does it take to fill up that many containers Mepps?
    3-4:D

20. I personally tie up all my sacs immediately after curing the eggs. Then I put all the sacs in a Food Saver canister and use my Food Saver, (probably the BEST investment I ever made), to suck all the air out. I put the whole canister in the freezer for at least one day, (I heard that your eggs milk better when frozen first), then I move them to the fridge. When I hit the river I take about 2-3 dozen sacs with me. If you are trying to make your eggs last for more than a month, or if you are not curing them, then you should probably keep them frozen.