Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have it on my bucket list to catch a gar, which we don't have up here on the upper stretch of the Great Miami. I know that gar are abundant on the southern stretches of the Little Miami where some of you consider them a nuisance. My son wants to take me to find them and cross it off the list. Can you recommend a spot as it will involve some travel? PM me if you prefer, of course.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Oh, there’re plenty of gar in the GMR from Hamilton on down to the Ohio. Once it starts getting hot they’ll be out in force.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Oh, there’re plenty of gar in the GMR from Hamilton on down to the Ohio. Once it starts getting hot they’ll be out in force.
Yeah your best bet is to just stick to the GMR from the dam on down. They are all over the place in the shallows, rapids, and deep water.

·
AKA: JetboatJohnny
836 Posts
Also on the great Miami where the Whitewater runs into it they congregate this time of year. My dad was the master of hooking them on crankbaits there. There are some big ones there too, he caught some in the 4'-5' length range.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Usually, once the water warms up to 80 degrees or so, they stack up in slow moving mud bottom pools. They can also be found sitting in vegetation around placed with more current.

When the water is up like it is now I'm not sure where they go. Definitely out of the current somewhere. I would start looking for them up in the creeks, or behind current breaking vegetation at the edges of the river.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went to Campbell lakes preserve yesterday to kill a couple hours. Ended up catching a small gar. But I'm not sure I can say I caught it. Brought in up on the bank and looked down to see if I could get my lure back. And I realized it wasn't even hooked it just locked down on the lure itself and came right in. First time catching a gar and probably the only time I'll catch something without hooking it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts