Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a wilderness systems 10 ft kayak. I want to install 2 flush mount rod holders behind the seat. I have found prices from $7 at Walmart to 13-20$ At outdoor source and Dick's. any input? I am also worried about not having an exactly flat deck for mounting. Is that really an issue when mounting?
Ski
Located in columbus

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The ones I have seen a walmart are open bottom so I would not use them personally. For the same reason I would only mount it flush with a gasket or sealant. You don't want your kayak filling up with water.

·
Registered
360 Posts
the flush rod holders on my Malibu Stealth 12 have little rubber gaskets under them, which helps with the uneven surface, obviously you don't want water passing by the rod holder and filling up your yak so Id make sure you got a rubber gasket behind it. Also its tough to beat WM prices if they have what you need but you might want to check a couple of online shops too for your kayak gear...Hook1 and kayakfishingsupplies are the 2 I hit the most

·
fishing from a kayak
882 Posts
IMO a scotty or a ram mount is a better option if you are kayaking smaller stuff here in central ohio since they can put the rods perpendicular to the boat. Flush mounts tend to leave rods pointing up in the air and get snagged on stuff.

·
Slayin' and filletin'
1,985 Posts
The ones I have seen a walmart are open bottom so I would not use them personally. For the same reason I would only mount it flush with a gasket or sealant. You don't want your kayak filling up with water.
+1, but if you have a SIK it probably doesn't matter.

I bought my rod holders from Amazon, best deal I could find anywhere and they have a huge assortment of Scotty products. I'd encourage you to go with a known quality mount, I didn't the first time :mad:.

You'll also need a hole saw and drill mounted drum sander. Even though the holder is round, it goes in at an angle (mine does anyway) and the hole will need to be sanded elliptical.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I had a gift card for Dick's so I started there. I found two rod holders for $13.99 a piece. Each included mounting hardware, but no gasket. I purchased 2 and my gift card covered it.
So then I went to West Marine to see what they had. They had 1 rod holder for $6.99. Almost identical but NO mounting hardware but did have a gasket at half the price!!!
I'll probably take the dick's holders back and buy the cheaper ones at West marine and buy the hardware. I would probably save $10 bucks I can spend somewhere else.
Frustrated.
ski

·
Registered
360 Posts
IMO a scotty or a ram mount is a better option if you are kayaking smaller stuff here in central ohio since they can put the rods perpendicular to the boat. Flush mounts tend to leave rods pointing up in the air and get snagged on stuff.
I do both...gotta have my flush rod holders for my net and anchor. I use my crate mounted rod holders for most of my rod storage and Ive got my yak attack gear track on the sides which have scotty mighty mounts attached to them and can slide back and forth, perfect for trolling. I like a couple styles for different uses

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.