close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where to buy a Flat of Canadian Crawlers?

Discussion in 'Ohio Bait, Tackle, Taxidermy, etc. Marketplace' started by Sauggie, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Sauggie

Sauggie ... ...

I use a bunch of crawlers every year and always want to buy bulk but never do. I read the article in the April/May 2005 Field and Stream on how to build a home made "crawler farm." It appears to be a great way to keep your crawlers alive all year so you can buy them in bulk. And it's inexpensive...

Any of you guys buy bulk Canadian crawlers? Where is the best place to order?

Thanks,

Scott

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i searched live bait , and you can order them online at a few places. onlinebait.com is one.

3. have to be carefull some places by the time u pay shiping dry ice and for the foam flat its almost as much as the ones u get from the store then if u have some thing go wrong u can go in the hole fast check with a near by bait shop and c what they can do for u i know id sale u a flat but it a bit to far away i saw the same article seemed to be a good set up i like the large stone in the bottem so the water could get out

4. Dave's Bait offers a good deal and quality worms.

5. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

6. I believe The Pipe Rack in Akron use to get em for people.

7. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

where are you located??? their are 3 wholesale bait places that i can think of in ne ohio 1 is akron wholesale bait 1856 conley rd out off of 224..............i think their is one out in springfield off of old waterloo rd and 224..............and nimisilla bait..........you can also buy flats of worms at most all the bait shops along erie thats how we buy them when we run charters................jim

8. I was going to recommend Cabela's if you were close to either one (Dundee or Wheeling). However I just now looked at their price and it is way up. I think I bought a flat of them last summer on the way to Canada for less than $40. They are now listing them for $59.99.:rolleyes: They are very good quality worms and they stay alive for quite some time. I usually take an extra worm box up with me to Canada and split them up to eliminate the crowed environment. Then I usually have several to bring home and they stay alive for quite some time in the basement in the same boxes. You just need to throw some food in for them every now and then.

9. Get ahold of Don at Grand Lake bait and tackle. If anyone can get em he will. I dont have his # I think Bubbahunter or billygfish can get it!Glenn

10. Grandlake Bait & Tackle
    420 South Main St.
    Celina, OH 45822

(419) 584-0849

11. Sauggie

Sauggie ... ...

Thanks for all the replies! It appears to be a little more costly when ordering live bait online. You have to pay for the coolers and ice along with the shipping. I'll look at local bait shops. I'm going to Marblehead this weekend to fish Erie. I'll ask Hiway Bait if they'll sell me a flat at a reasonable price.

fishingful: I live in Springfield. I'm not sure where old waterloo rd and 224 are. Do you remember the name of the bait shop?

I'll post a follow-up/update in late fall 2005 regarding the Field and Stream "crawler farm" container. It really seems that it will work well.

Thanks Again Guys!

Fish on!
    Scott

12. I use to buy my worms from Bass Pro and they would ship them UPS in a very nice stirofoam box. Now I just buy them from the bait shops on Lake Erie, Hi Way Bait or Daves. I keep them in the Bass Pro stirofom boxes in an old fridge in the garage and keep it at about 42 degrees. They usually last me all year. One more thing, if you buy them mail order, get them in the early spring before hot weather gets here.

13. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

14. they have them on ebay, pretty cheap, too. Damn, they have everything cheap on ebay!

15. At the Gander Mountain in Dayton you can get a flat of 500 for $35. Calling ahead of time is a good idea though, as we don't always have flats of them in stock, the bait guy comes every few days though, so getting them quickly isn't an issue.

16. bttmline

bttmline E.B.C.C. Founder

don't you have a bait shop you deal with on a regular basis? ask the owner to help yopu out and give the guy a little for doing so.
    bttmline

17. go to shines bait & tackle for a flat of canadian crawlers.
    216-431-9090