Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an inflatable sevylor boat and just got the coinciding 12v sevylor motor for it. Now my dilemma is where to find a battery for it, I don't necessarily need a huge marine battery, just something cheap and rechargeable to power the motor for the day on the water. Id prefer to physically go out and buy it instead of buying it online. I'm not very familiar with these things so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks guys.

-joe

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
You definitely want a deep cycle trolling motor battery. Chances are you aren't going to find one for $50 or less. Sometimes you've got to just bite the bullet, and pay more than you had hoped. This will probably be one of those cases. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong ..... but I believe a 24 series battery is the smallest size trolling motor battery available. There are smaller deep cycle batteries but they're really just starting batteries and not what you want. A starting battery, even if it's a deep cycle battery, will not last. As long as the voltages of the motor and the battery matches, the battery can't be too powerful.

Whatever you do DON'T just buy a car battery and expect it hold up. I guarantee it will be a waste of your money. It will not last.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,081 Posts
if you want a small battery walmart has lawnmower/motorcycle batterys. maybe one of those will work for you. I have a 12v deep cycle I got a walmart in my kayak and I can run my trolling motor all day and then switch on my flood light and still fish into the night. ive never ran out of juice.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that tip, I have an old car battery in the garage I was thinking about trying, it's just hard spending twice as much on the battery as I did on the motor! Either way ill get my money's worth out of it.

EZ that battery sounds about perfect for what I need, what did that cost you? Ill probably be heading out tonight to get one.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yup, just go to wal-mart. Just be sure you get a deep cycle battery, not a general lawn mower or car battery. Those are starter batteries, not made for continuous use. I got mine from Walmart for like 95 bucks and its a heavy and quality battery that lasts all day. Also, be sure to invest in a good charger, they are like 40 bucks. Charge your battery every time you use it on a slow charge. It makes your battery last longer.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
go to wall mart and plan on spending around 75.00 for there smallest deep cycle battery. they have a starting marine battery for like 65.00 but you really don't want a starting battery they just are not made for deep cycle use. you do need to take an old battery in with you or add about 10.00 to the price.
sherman

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have bought literally dozens of trolling motor batteries ove the years and agree with everyone here on Walmart. Their deep cycles are the same battery as some of the big name brands and are the best value. Their warranty is pretty good too. You definetly want the deep cycle. Hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.