Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
You've definitely chosen a much harder path. I have heard that wipers are much more difficult to pattern in lakes than rivers just because there's so much open water. It shows how dedicated you are for you to able to find them on a regular basis.
I don't necessarily think it's harder , just like in rivers they tend to congregate in certain areas throughout the day depending on pray and feeding habits. In a boat you can troll around and cover a lot more water to locate, and where there is one Wiper there is often a school. On a river your more limited on w
ater you can cover unless you are in a Canoe or Kayak. And just like in River if they aren't feeding , they aren't feeding, but at least in a boat I can locate them with my fish finder and try to coax them into feeding (something I have read is possible but haven't quite figured out yet)

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
I don't necessarily think it's harder , just like in rivers they tend to congregate in certain areas throughout the day depending on pray and feeding habits. In a boat you can troll around and cover a lot more water to locate, and where there is one Wiper there is often a school. On a river your more limited on w
ater you can cover unless you are in a Canoe or Kayak. And just like in River if they aren't feeding , they aren't feeding, but at least in a boat I can locate them with my fish finder and try to coax them into feeding (something I have read is possible but haven't quite figured out yet)
You still chasing wipers up there?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
You still chasing wipers up there?
My last outing where I got into Wipers on O'Shay was in late September. My pattern (and I'm hesitant to even call it that) for picking up Wipers trolling , goes to s*** when the water gets muddy and cold.
From past experience your best bet Late October into November is to find busting shad and throw a jerk bait or paddle tail.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.