close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where have all smallies go?

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by CurtisLowe, Jul 13, 2004.

1. I have been fishing the pike island pool for years and caught many smallmouths and very often. This year is so different, does anybody have the answer? Seems like the river has just been too high or fast and alot of the prime time was missed. Would love some feedback on this subject.

2. Last two years have been real slow for smallmouth. The river level fluctuations have a great deal to do with it I believe. I think the smallies are still there - its just much harder to present a bait properly when the river is up and rippin'. Ther river is down now but it's summer. I always have trouble consistently putting a good string of smallies together in the summer on the river. Especially when there is little current - I believe the fish disperse when there is no current to force them behind current breaks. Makes fishing alot tougher.

2002 was a great smallmouth year for me on the Pike Island pool - River levels remained pretty constant throughout much of the spring and early summer that year. Water was clear and fishing was real good in April, May and June for smallies.

I just hope the high muddy waters we had in the springs of 2003 and 2004 didn't affect the spawn too much. Time will tell.

3. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

last year was an excellent year for bass in both the cumberland and pike isle pools, this year they just arn't there. 1, 14''(sometimes less) bass is winning most of the wed. night tourneys on the cumberland pool.

4. Thanks guys, I was hoping it wasn't just me. Guess I'll have to start catfishin', They seem to always be there.