close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where do I find springtime bass

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by BassinAsassin, Dec 27, 2007.

1. New to NE Ohio. Just after Christmas and I've got the itch where can I find some spring time bass?

2. Early spring they'd most likely be suspended in deep water over structure. Once the water starts warming up, (say early April) they start moving into the shallow areas to spawn.

I'm not that big of a bass guy, so I'm sure somebody else can give you more info.

3. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Portage Lakes is on fire after iceout every year.

4. where abouts in NE Ohio are you? I'm familar with alot of the lakes and maybe able to help you on any your close to. PM me if you want.

5. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I catch nice sized bass wading the shallows (2-4fow) at Nimisila in February and March. Use a black and silver floating Rapala, Husky Jerks or my favorite in-line spinner.

6. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I forgot about nimi. Long is also an awesome springtime lake.

7. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I forgot about Long Lake. Springtime is the only time I do any good at Long.

8. I was also new here in 2000. NE Ohio can be challenging but rewarding once you get to know your way around. PM me if you like, I will try to help all I can. Like the guys said above Long and Portage are 2 of the best.

9. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Without a doubt you picked the best place in the state to move when it comes to fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!

WELCOME to Ohio!!!!

10. Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera Willows and bass go together like beer and pizza.

I don't know if this counts as early spring, but I caught two 6 lbers the first week of April at Portage within 10 minutes of each other a couple years ago. My wife caught a 6 and a 5 this year the first week of April.

3 of 4 on a spinnerbait and the other, by the Princess, on a finesse worm.

Buick

11. 2 to 4 ft? that seems pretty shallow for Feb.

12. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

That's what I thought too. But I have consistantly caught them in this place at Nimi at that depth for several years. This is wading too after iceout.

13. http://www.dobass.com/History/dobass.html

Back when I had more time, I would attempt to provide "interpretive data" of the days fishn' as reported from our events.

There is a variety of early reports above (esp from 2005 &6) on how and where they got caught.

I cant help much on long or portage....but little can compare to flipn' ice edges at Mosquito in less than a foot of water on the first few sunny spring days- eye opening stuff regionally!

njoy~
    nip

14. Nip, I would have swore that you would mention "flipn' ice edges " at Ladue or dare I say Deer Creek. :eek:

15. shhhhhhhh....it works at Mosquito well too!!! ;)

16. ParmaBass

ParmaBass Kiss The Converse

Good read Nip! Those tournament scales were off a bit!

17. devildog#1

devildog#1 hardcore fisherman

Wow I would have never guessed to fish that shallow that early! Now I have something to look forward too!!!! Thanks for the info. Can't wait to give it a try.