close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where can I get some lead

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by H2O Mellon, Jul 5, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I am looking for lead for a sinker mold. ANy idea where I can get some in the Dayton area?

2. rockbass

rockbass Banned

What kind of sinkers are you making? I use wheel weights for my regular catfishing sinkers.......most people say that lead is junk, but for catfishing, it is perfect.....I never have any problems with it. I only make bank, bell(without the swivel) and egg sinkers with it though...........Maybe I will hit you up for some sinkers some time if you have what I want :D

3. Check the phone book for recycling centers or scrap metal buyers. Most will resell lead. The last I bought was a quarter a pound. If you have a choice buy lead pipe or lead flashing. The softer leads are much easier to work with.

Wheel weights will work for sinkers but I'll only use them if they are free. They have a lot of waste because of the steel clips and the other crap which you have to skim off. Because of the added alloys they require higher melting temperatures and sometimes have problems with inconsistent pours.

4. H2O Mellon

Thanks guys. I love this melting & pouring stuff!!!!! I even came up with my own design for a new sinker. I'll post some pics when I get home.

5. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I can't wait to see this!

6. Check your recycling centers melon. I do alot of pouring in the winter and buy about 50-100 lbs of lead and you can usually get prices in the range of .25-.35 cents a pound. Usually they just have a bin with all the lead in there and you can pick it out what you want. I would definately look for the flashing and lead sheets. They are easier to cut and dont have as many impurities in it. I consider the wheel weights junk, if someone offers them to me free i will take them but I would never pay for them. I haven't had a problem finding lead in Columbus so you shouldn't have trouble in the Dayton area.

Jake

7. dip

dip dip

BREATHE DEEP when you git a load melted mr mellon! :D

8. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

mellon sounds like a question that is setting you up for a personal stab!!! :D :D

you could check with dental offices to see if they keep there xray lead. i was lucky enough to come across some at the office my mother in law was working at. they usually have to pay people to take it away because there not allow to just toss it. its great lead for small jigs, cleanest you can probally get.

sowbelly

9. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Tha is a freakin great idea sowbelly!

I can just see me calling the dentist offices around here asking if I can have there lead :D

10. dip

dip dip

and i had trouble melting it in the small melters i use.... does your revolutionary sinker design look like this :S ?

11. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

i just use a lee's production pot, holds 10lbs of lead. i had no problems melting it down...

12. I will tell you this much and take it as you may...
    DO NOT do this indoors...
    Lead is very caustic man and can cause you allot of problems down the road.
    I knew a couple guys who did body work using lead and they set me straight about it...
    A garage with the door open and a fan blowing past your melting pot then out the door would work just fine... Indoors is a no no...
    If you have kids around then at least keep them away if you are or do not worry about yourself...

13. rockbass

rockbass Banned

That is a good one! :D

14. dip

dip dip

lee's production pot that holds 10# of lead "is a very good unit for making jigs weighing less than 1/2 oz AND CAN BE USED TO MOLD SINKERS UP TO 1 OUNCE IN SIZE".

15. Bryan i have all the lead you need.plenty of decoy weights left over

16. H2O Mellon

SOLD! or STOLEN! Which ever I decide to do I guess. :D