close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

where can i find cheep fly line?

Discussion in 'Fish on the Fly' started by Sleprock, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Sleprock

Sleprock fishing cabrewer

dug an old cheep flyrod out of its resting place but i must have pitched the line anyone know where i can get some line for under $10. live near xenia.

2. check the bargain bins at places like dicks and the clearance racks at walle mart that's about all i have for ya

3. i would try bass pro online, but i will warn you. i would sooner spend $65 on a line and $50 on a rod than $150 on a rod and $20 on the line. a rod will make everything easier the nicer it is but a good line is essential to fishability, and you will work harder to cast. but if its just a pond rod a $15 dollar line(i think thats bass pros cheapest) will work.

4. Great point there river king.... I have noticed the bettet the line makes up for to lower quality rod...I have learned this the hard way.... Remember you are casting the line!!!!

Frank

5. I must agree with RiverKing, I have a real nice rod/reel combo and decided to line it with Bass Pro's $20.00 line...all it did was twist leader and tippet into knots (I am not a great caster, but this is the only line to do this on me), it did not flow nicely through the guides and it did not even float well. Soooo.....went to Orvis and dropped another $60.00 on their Gen 3 line....the difference is like using a spoon vs a chef's knife to cut a steak! Line is a big deal, in my experience (all the cheap line did was cost me an extra $20.00 and a few frustrating outings). Hope this helps.

6. cortland line can be had for $25. its good line. FWIW, there are only a few manufacturers of fly line in the world.

7. fishing pole

fishing pole Off the beaten path

That is also true with many rods. The cheap ones are made right next to the high end ones over in China, Japan...etc. My Bro works for an import/export company and he said you wouldnt believe it. I also talked with a guy who was looking for a mfg rep for some rods and he showed me his rod next to some other mfgs and the only difference was blank color and a logo. Not to mention about $150 price difference

8. I have also had great experience with these guys.
    While it is correct that there are very few fly line manufacturers, keep in mind that "private labeled" lines are made to specs not necessarily what the manufacturer uses, such as coatings, so there IS a difference. I have been very happy with lines carrying the RIO, Scientific Anglers, & Wulff Triangle Taper (mfg by SA) lines. I also have a Cabela's Prestige that has been fine, although I don't know who makes it.
    Do NOT scrimp on lines. Well cared for, a good line will last for years.
    Mike

9. Don't skimp when it comes to line. For the money, ($30.00) the Hook & Hackle branded lines are top notch, and made by Cortland. They are kind of like a cross between the Cortland 444 "Peach" and the Cortland Sylk. It's one of the best bangs for the buck out there. http://www.hookhack.com/ I have a H&H DT3F and I like it better than any other 3wt line I've ever owned. As I replace worn lines in other weights, I'll be buying the H&H lines.

J.

10. maybe with the **** equipment cabelas, bass pro and tfo shoves down the throats of unknowing consumers. but the rods worth anything are made in the US. scott, orvis(the orvis rods that are decent), sage, loomis, st croix, t&t and the list goes on.. these rods are made in the US.

although there is a reason why people are now using the phrase "a true X weight".

[​IMG]

11. Yes there is a reason why people are using that phrase these days. I'd like to hear your input on the subject.

I can say for sure, that U.S. made fly gear is much better than anything made in
    any of the Asian countries (Japan is an exception). I'm a rod builder, and money has been very tight this year, so I tried a couple of imported carbon fiber blanks
    and I can say that I'm not impressed in the least with either.
    By the way, I wish TFO would just go away!

J.

12. I hate to be a wet blanket here, but Sierra's shipping is very high. Here are their rates, & I think they're EXORBITANT!......

Shipping Rates*
    based on order total UPS Ground 2 Day Air 1 Day Air
    $0.00 - $25.00 $5.95 $15.95 $25.95
    $25.01 - $50.00 $7.95 $17.95 $27.95
    $50.01 - $75.00 $9.95 $19.95 $29.95
    $75.01 - $100.00 $10.95 $20.95 $30.95
    $100.01 - $150.00 $12.95 $22.95 $32.95
    $150.01 - $200.00 $14.95 $24.95 $34.95
    OVER $200 $16.95 $26.95 $36.95

Also, I'm not a fan of Orvis line. It's manufactured for them & I understand the coating is just a surface coating, not impregnated. I had their top of the line Wonderline & gave it away. Give me RIO or SA. Also the H&H line Jeremy mentioned is a favorite of a few of my friends.
    Mike

13. wanna open up that can of worms, eh? it seems to me, and many other people I've talked to, that some of the rods coming out of asia are labeled for the incorrect weights. not really sure if its purposely done, or its just sloppy work. wont go there. nope. not at all.

all my rods are US built. I like it that way. I've picked up several diamondbacks on discounts recently, and love them to death. well, until they hit a 7wt, then they get clunky. now I'm saving for a Helios 7wt in the 10' length. wow. most impressive rod I've ever casted. should be here by middle of next month. perfect timing.

14. Well, I'm willing to open that can of worms, so here goes. Current Asain rods try to mimic popular High end rods, which of course are made here in the U.S.
    They don't get it right most of the time though as far as I'm concerned.
    The whole "is it a true X weight" stems from the fact that apparently the consumer whats faster than fast rods. American companies have rod designers that are for the most part Tournament casters, and they have incorporated Tournament distance casting into the design of rods meant for real fishing.
    To get these rods that fast and cast 100 feet, something has to give.
    Many rods marked for a 5wt line are not really 5wts. The rod will not load with the standard of 30 feet of line out. No, these rods won't load until you have much more line out. The rod really is a 6wt or even a 7wt. Thats fine if your casting only for distance, but it's not a good rod for fishing in real conditions.
    Sage, Loomis, Orvis, Scott, Winston, all make rods like this. The Asians try to copy this, and they end up making rods that just don't quit get it.
    TFO is one of the worst for rods that are under rated as to the line weight.
    They are all too stiff and require a heavier line to load properly.
    The Commom Cents System used to determine Power, line weight, and Action
    reflects this. Rods companies don't want you to know this either.
    When I buy a rod blank, and I want a 3wt, I expect it to really cast a 3wt line. I don't want a 5wt that is labeled as a 3wt. All rod companies are guilty of this, even the American companies, who started this whole mess to begin with.

J.

15. What are your opinions on Echo Rods then?

I just got a reel that was made in the USA and now i'm searching for a reasonably priced rod. The rod I was considering was a 10' Echo for 169.99 with a lifetime warranty. I emailed them and they said their rods are made in China and was a little disapointed.
    I want a really really good rod for steelhead fishing but don't want to spend 500 bucks.
    Also i'm not going to lie I just got a 5wt 3 forks combo from cabelas and thats made in China. It was a cheap combo for me to fart around with when i'm not steelhead fishing. I didn't want to use an 8 wt for bass and blue gill.
    The starter flueger kit I got was a piece of crap and I just wanted to upgrade.

16. fishing pole

Just a little something from online mag;

Fly rod performance is almost entirely a function of taper and ferrule design, lay-up schedule, and the types and specifi cations of the materials used to build the blank. The same graphite materials and components used by American rodmakers are readily available to their Asian counterparts, but the taper/ferrule designs and the complex lay-up schedules developed by American rodmakers are not.

Major rodmakers like Cortland, Diamondback, Redington, St. Croix and Winston now source at least one of their rod lines in Asia. We talked with all of them, and learned that it takes a great deal of time and effort to find and establish effective working relationships with reliable Asian rod manufacturers. To a man, they all said that certifying Asian factories and guaranteeing production quality is every bit as big a job as running their domestic operations.

St. Croix’s Premier ($90 to $120) and new Reign ($130 to $160) series rods are designed by St. Croix engineers in Park Falls, Wisconsin, and built entirely in China using proprietary tooling and technology that St. Croix shares with its Asian manufacturer. St. Croix also specifies all components and materials that go into building these rods, including their premium SCII graphite. All St. Croix Avid, Legend Ultra and Legend Elite rods, however, are made entirely at their Wisconsin factory.

Winston has two new Asian-made rod series—the Ascent ($179) and Vapor ($279 to $289), both of which are designed from the ground up by Winston’s in-house engineering team in Twin Bridges, Montana. As a part of that process, Winston specifies the graphite to be used, the lay-up schedules for each model within each series, and all of the components to be used in fitting out the rods. All other Winston rod series are built entirely at the factory in Twin Bridges.

Redington was purchased by Sage several years ago, one of the reasons being to permit Sage to learn first hand about Asian manufacturing. While all Sage rods are still made entirely at the Sage factory on Bainbridge Island, Washington—including the popularly priced Launch ($170 to $200) and FLi series ($245 to $295)—all Redington rods are built in China or South Korea at factories chosen for their ability to produce rods of consistent quality. As with other major rodmakers, Redington does the design work in-house and specs all of the materials and components involved in the manufacturing process.

Even though Cortland Line Co. owns Diamondback, each company takes a different approach. All of Cortland’s rod series—the GRX ($80 to $120), CL ($100 to $170), Precision XC ($160 to $190), and new Endurance ($140 to $160)—are designed in the U.S. and built to Cortland’s specifications in modern factories in both China and South Korea. Diamondback, on the other hand, designs and builds all of its rod blanks at the Diamondback factory in Stowe, Vermont. Their Americana Series rods ($139 to $199) are built out on Vermont-made blanks with Diamondback-specified components at one of Cortland’s Asian factories, but all other Diamondback rods are built completely in Vermont.

Both Orvis and L. L. Bean declined to provide us with the details, but their catalogs clearly indicate that certain of their rod models are “imported.” Imported from where? We don’t know, but it’s a fair guess they’re not coming out of a high-labor-cost region like Europe or North America. L. L. Bean’s imported rod lines include the Angler ($69), Quest ($75 to $95), Streamlight ($115 to $199), and Travel Series ($159 to $245), while their Double L ($215 to $305) and Orion ($310 to $430) series rods are made here in America. In the case of Orvis, their Streamline ($89 to $109) and Frequent Flyer ($195 to $225) series rods are imported, with all other Orvis rods being made at their Manchester, Vermont factory.

Everyones dipping into Asia

17. fishing pole

Joe,

It's like tasting wine. It's only YOUR opinion that counts. If others don't like it and you do then it's good. I have some pretty **&^&^ according to others but I like to cast them and thats all that counts. I pity the guy who tries to keep up with others by buying pricy equipment they can't afford.

18. maybe some of us just know how to cast and fish good enough to where the rod does make a difference. and yes, high end rods are much better than low end rods. to those without decent casting skills, then the rods wont make much of a difference.
    as for not affording, well, my custom maurice noel reel should be done in october. I plan on mating this reel to this rod. yeah, I can afford it. fairly easy really.

have you ever casted a helios?

jkurtz7:

yeah, I was thinking of the tfos. they seem notorious for this. I figured they were doing this on purpose to get the newer flyfishemen, maybe without too much experience to think their rods are better than they are.