close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where are all the fishing jobs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bsterzenbach, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Well I finally decided to take the plunge and change to a career of fishing. It's crazy tho - I can't seem to find the right opportunity, or the pay just isn't there..

I might have to continue working part-time until something comes along.

You guys will let me know if you hear of something, won't you ?

;)

2. Justin S

Justin S c-ya on the water

if you find one let me know if they are looking for someone else, i would quit my job tommorow.LOL

3. Dude, I been looking for them for about the last 7 years and from the very few leads I ever found, it was obvious that the jobs were given to someone who had waaaay more connections then I ever had. Lots of politics involved here not to mention regions here are usually the whole midwest and noone seems to want a person in Ohio, it seems most would rather have folks where the fishing is, like Michigan, Wisconson or Pa. That has been my experience. I keep plugging away though, sooner or later.

You didnt mention what type of fishing job you were looking for? I was looking at several different types but mostly looking at sales rep types of positions.
    Good luck!

Salmonid

4. Salmonid - I was dreaming, but now you have gone and done it - there really ARE some fishing jobs out there?

I guess I hadn't considered the ranger type jobs as fishing jobs - I may never be happy in my work again :(

I sometimes wonder if I'd still love to fish if it were my job - I think I would just keep finding different types of fishing until I get too old to get out anymore..

5. fishing jobs? well, my brother worked for about 10 years or so between orvis and umpqa doing sales and such. you would have to land a job with an outfitter or major company that specializes in gear and then it's still pretty much a white-collar job with traveling for product fairs/seminars.

Funny thing, now he owns his own business and doesn't have time to fish much.

6. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

depends on what kind...a field job or a desk...there is always taxidermy too...I am going to finish my schooling for a graphic designer degree then go back to warren county for their "game warden" program, or wildlife biologist degree...and then on the side get a taxidermy degree in Pa....sounds like alot but is easily done if the right steps are taken....

7. pendog66

pendog66 It swims its bait

im going to college for it, in the next two years i will be finishing my wildlife management and biology major. It is awesome learning everything and when it comes to fishing i have a couple people that are im junior bass. And this past year i met one of the directors of bassmasters

8. Eriesteamer

Eriesteamer BORN TO RIDE THE WAVES

I too like get a job on a charter boat.no pay as I would be just glad to go and help.I know lake Erie well.love just see and help others catch fish.Yet I still have to find that type fishing job.if you call it a job.Any one read this need a helper on there charter boat get to me.Free as I do not want any pay just to go out in boat and be one the gang all I care for.Well thats the job I was after.

9. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

i am working on my fish and wildlife management degree to become a wildlife/fisheries biologist lots of school to do and i will need to get my masters before its all done to make any money in it but that job with the U.S. fish and game service will be worth it in the end