close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Where and what to buy

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by BowKat04, Oct 1, 2007.

1. I recently bought a 1994 Tracker with a 60HP Mercury outboard. I've been reading my owners manual about the upcoming winterization and after reading about it on here I'm going to go buy everything I will need and do it myself. In the manual it reccomends Quicksilver gear lube, Quicksilver 2 cycle oil and something else for the trim fluid. What brand would you guys reccomend out of all this stuff I've listed I should buy? Also, where is my best bet to purchase these items? I live close to Bass Pro and Walmart. Also, what brand fogging oil should I buy? Also, what stabilizer to purchase as well. Sorry this is so long but this is my first boat and want to take care of it as best as I can. Thanks, Paul

2. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

what products/brands you use is like oil in your car, it a personel preference. i get mine at gander mtn. they carry lubrimatic brand. seafoam in my opinion is the best fuel stabalizer/system cleaner. i used stabil (pink stuff) my first year of doing it myself and had to drain the fuel tank come spring anyhow because it would not start(fuel turned bad anyway). that has not been the case with seafoam. starts like i just fueled it. look at the second "sticky" down in this forum. dalem posted a pretty good explanation of what you need to do. i do use premium(less plug fouling) quicksilver 2 stroke oil.

3. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Stick with Mercury, and/or QuickSilver products (they're the same).

As EZ Bite stated, SeaFoam is a superior gas stabilizer, and has many other qualities to it other than a fuel stabilizer.

As far as a fogging oil is concerned, anything labeled as a foggin lubricant will do fine. I know guys that have used WD40 for years as a fogging oil with no ill affects. All it does is lubricate the cylinders and cylinder walls for prolonged storage.

4. So would Bass Pro have all that I will need?

5. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

The online store doesn't show any Quicksiler/Mercury lubricants.

My local Gander Mountain has them. If you have one nearby, you might want to check with them. Any of your local authorized Merc dealers will have it.