close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

when your fuel lines freeze, what do you do?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Yanky, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

I drive a 2002 mercury cougar that sat all day friday since I had no work. I went to start it and all i get is multiple clicks when I turn and hold the key. It doesnt even try to crank. I have a strong battery and all lights still come on strong. It was running fine until now. My guess is that my fuel froze? Or something else that needs to turn?

Im basically stuck here. Short of having it towed someplace, which Id rather not do, what else can I do to either diagnose the problem or assume its one of several things and take steps to fix them(like the fuel freezing)? Or do I just have to wait for it to warm up? Man I hate being stranded.

2. Seaturd

Seaturd Catcher of Fish

If it won't even crank over it's not a frozen fuel line. You've got battery or starter issues and my guess is the battery. Even if lights look bright it may not have enough power to crank over the engine. Try jumping it.

3. starter or bad cable,,,dead cell in battery...lights will work but not enough current to start

4. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

that was my first thought but i figured the lights wouldve indicated it too. i left a note for my neighbor and if he ever gets home hopefully hell give me a jump.

side question, if i do get a jump and get it running, will it fail to start the next time i go to start it? for example, if i head out to get a new battery will i be stuck at the store installing it (not that its that hard really)? or should i drive around for a bit and let the alternator throw some charge into it? its always performed fine but im guessing the extreme cold affected it.

thanks for the input guys

5. Hook N Book

Hook N Book The Original Hot Rod Staff Member

That would be your battery, Dude. Get a jump...but before you do, if it has removable caps on it, check the fluid level in each cell. If they're low add some distilled water to the low cells. Then get the jump and run it under load to bring it back up. Also, if you have the idiot lights on the dash it will stay on if the battery is low when you turn the key to the start position. If you have gauges it will be below 12v.;)

6. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

if you get it running ,take it to autozone and heve them test the battery. clicking could just be corroded cable ends. clean them and you may find a lot more power. call me for a jump (edited my # out)if needed. always use those batery corrosion protector pads . i use a battery spray to keep mine clean.

7. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

if my neighbor doesnt get home before 6, ill definitely give you a call knot, and i really appreciate the offer. i want to get myself a new battery, if i need one, today so that i can get this all sorted out before the workweek begins.

8. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

ok so my car just started without a jump. it did sound like it was trying very hard though, so im guessing my battery is on its way out. the cold last night must have just been so intense that my battery couldnt provide the current needed to start.

ill be headin out to get a new one tonight and probably install it tomorrow. hopefully we get some sun at least.

thanks for all your reassurances and help offers guys. it really set my mind at ease.

9. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

If you buy your battery at Autozone,they will install it for you if you are not comfortable doing the job.

10. sprite will clean battery acid of the cables really good.

11. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

i will do the install myself but its good to know they can do it if i really need the job done. im just glad it turned out to be my battery. i was kinda freaked that something major was wrong and i just cant afford that right now