close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

When to start on the river/creek smallies? Burrrrrr!

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Rooster, Feb 17, 2005.

1. I’m dying to hit a few small rivers/creeks here in SW Ohio, when do you start hitting the creeks? Which is fishable first, larger or smaller water? How much longer do I have to wait?

2. traphunter

traphunter Guest

I dont think its to early to start creek fishing, besides its not all about catching fish just get out there and have fun.:)

3. I usally start just as soon as there has been two warm days put together. I still stay near deep holes until we have had a warm rain.

4. WINNER

WINNER I hate Cleveland.

Get out and hit them.
    Last year by this time had 25 miles in on my yak and a few fish too! ;)

This year I bought a house and I have been working on it so far. Two more weeks and I'll be hitting the water. :D

Winner

5. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

They should already be hitting okay in the small streams. Try using a float n fly in moving water

6. Tee

Tee Team OGF

I got to get out soon. I haven't fished for since November. I just moved to the Morrow area and drive by the LMR every day. There are some awesome looking spots I have driven by. I haven't hit any of them yet. If anyone is willing to go I'm game, Shoot me a PM. I got some insulated waders and warm clothes. I have heard the LMR has some great smallie fishing.

The rivers looks to be a few days away from being fishable. The water was moving pretty fast.

7. bronzebacker

bronzebacker Crickjumper

Hey fishingredhawk, are you in Dublin or Oxford? If in Oxford, have you been in 4 mile yet? How does it look? I'd hate to drive from Pickerington if it's screwed up!

8. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Sorry, Dublin right now. I was just speaking from the past couple of years and when the bite began

9. Tee

Tee Team OGF

Now the River looks to be in good shape and very fishable.....BUT Its Freezing cold out... :(

10. Fish eat year around, why dont we fish year around? I just have never fished for anything but trout once the ice forms on the rivers. Bigest smallmouths on the New River and Greenbrier are always caught the end of February through March. Maybe someone knows something. :rolleyes:

11. :rolleyes: MOST OF THE FISH I WAS CATCHING IN THE NE BELOW THE SPILLWAYS WERE BEFORE THE WASH-OUT. AFTER THE COLD TEMPS AND ICE ON THE FISH WENT TO THE SMALL RUN OFF AND DEEP HOLES. BOAT ONLY! :(

HOW IS A RIVER LIKE A LAKE BUT YET A LAKE LIKE A RIVER! ;)

12. Tee, tried todds fork today just upriver from the morrow 22 bridge. no luck in deep pool or moving water. what are you guys using this time of year for the smallies? I am a largemouth lake
    fisherman from ky just moved to ohio and have alot to learn about fishing moving water. any help is greatly appreciated. by the way there is a nice little piece in bassmaster this month about smallie river/creek habits. thanks again for any help. jt