Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When a fish takes your bait and your drag is screaming, when do you set the hook? Do you set it while he's running or is it already set? Do you tighten your drag at all?

·
Turgid Member
572 Posts
Are you bank fishing? What type of fish are you after?

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Yep, set the hook as soon as you feel the fish. If your drag is screaming on every fish you should tighten the drag up for the hook set and if the fish feels big then loosen the drag while you are fighting the fish.

·
CJ Wolfpack
4,311 Posts
Yep, set the hook as soon as you feel the fish. If your drag is screaming on every fish you should tighten the drag up for the hook set and if the fish feels big then loosen the drag while you are fighting the fish.
Ditto on what he said (if using live bait of any sort). If you're using lures then I'd say set the hook anytime you feel anything outta the ordinary.

·
Registered
506 Posts
if the fish feels big then loosen the drag while you are fighting the fish.
I have a friend......who thinks he's a god at fishing........that keeps his drag set ungodly high. Instead of using the drag to help fight the fish, he just hits the casting button on his closed face to let line out! He lost a good half dozen fish this year doing that, including two muskie. :(

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a friend......who thinks he's a god at fishing........that keeps his drag set ungodly high. Instead of using the drag to help fight the fish, he just hits the casting button on his closed face to let line out! He lost a good half dozen fish this year doing that, including two muskie. :(
that sounds like a bad tactic

·
CJ Wolfpack
4,311 Posts
Are you sure he's playing with a full deck of cards because that makes absolutely no sense. Have you ever asked him why he does it that way? I'd bet all my fishing gear (I've got way too much:D) that he gets mad as hell when he loses a fish. It sounds like he may be kinda pig headed and may not want to hear the truth,how he fights a fish is the worst possible way to do it.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
When a fish takes your bait and your drag is screaming, when do you set the hook? Do you set it while he's running or is it already set? Do you tighten your drag at all?
I Like to catfish with my drag set really low....so when they are running I will do a couple different things depending on how I feel lol or how the fish are feeding...i will pinch the line til it is tense...that usually works ..or I just tighten the drag quickly.. I love fishing with circle hooks...it seems like some nights all the cats stay on and then other nights you can't get a hook into them

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
137 Posts
First off I like to set my drag when I start fishing with a scale at about 1/3 of the # test rating.. then leave it set that way.. as far a when to set the hook, chances are pretty good if it taking drag the hook is already made contact with skin but a bit more tug on the line wont hurt anything..I have caught fish and the only thing I felt was a bit of extra weight on the line, and then there is the times that the clicker was screaming to the tops of the mountains.. So set the hook any time ya feel any thing different. Hope this helps..

·
Registered
396 Posts
When catfishing I use circle hooks, when they start pulling line out I just tighten the drag a little and start reeling in.

If I'm not using circle hooks I wait til they're pulling line, then i tighten the drag and reel slowly, as soon as i feel any resistance I slam it back.

Like said earlier, if you feel any resistance I'd set the hook.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts