Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What time of year is the best for smallie fishing on Erie? I have never fished Erie, and really want to make it up there this year for some smallies. I will be paying for a guide, and want to make sure that I pick the right time of year for a chance at some “trophy” smallies. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Rooster,

It depends on where you are planning to fish. If you are going to fish in US waters, the first couple of weeks in May always produces for Smallmouth. Remember about the regulation change on Lake Erie this year. You can fish for them but you can't keep them until the end of June. So if you are looking for a wall hanger, this isn't the time of year to go.
If you are heading to Canadian waters as many charters do, they have a closed season until the last Saturday in June. The fishing over there can be awesome.
Another great time of year for all of Lake Erie is late September to late October. the fish go on a big feed before the winter. I hope this helps.

Wes

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey there, send me a e-mail i can hook you up with the best smallmouth captian up on the western end of the lake, its common to catch 40 fish a
person on some days.

good luck and tight lines

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rooster,

I run charters for smallmouth and fish the Canadian side 99% of the time. It open the last saturday in June and will continue well into Oct. Early time of the year we use tubes. Late July - Sept. we go to softcraws. Then late Sept. to Oct. switch to Bass minnows.

Main reason for fishing Canada is the size and number of fish are much greater than the American side.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
You could go fish for smallmouth in the PA waters of Lake Erie right now. It's every bit as good of fishing as the rest of Lake Erie. I believe right now its a 1 fish per day, 20" Size limit until 3rd weekend in June. I know the fish are already biting up at Presque Isle according to reports. I'm going there this weekend to fish so look for my report after I get back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Rooster,

I'll go and hammer some smallies with ya up there in Erie. I have never fished the lake for smallies,but have always wanted to. Sounds like the Canadian side is the way to go. We need a reliable guide.

Let me know.

Jim
www.ohiobass.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts