close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

when to add fish

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LAZYCAJUN, Jun 1, 2005.

1. A freind of mine is building a pond and was asking me when or how long does he need to wait for before adding fish? Iwas hoping you all could help thanks. :B

2. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

Add fatheads soon and let them get established for a bit before adding the predatory fish. Let some cover and insect populations get established as well so the minnows have a place to hide, and don't all dissapear

3. If filling from a creek it's a good idea to dump in a large amount of copper solfate to kill all the unwanted species in the water. Wait a few weeks and then introduce flatheads and golden shiners. If he is digging it now I would'nt add fish during the summer because of the heat.
    There is one guy on here that works at Jones fish hatchery, maybee he will give some advise. If possible get some evergreen trees put in to help the fattys breed.

4. catking

catking Banned

fishman is the member who works at Jones Hatcheries .....We had two nice ponds dug years ago and sank some pine trees and made a large rock pile in each one. We then put in several pounds of fathead minnows .. We made some frames from 2x4 's and put 1/4 " wire mesh on each side with an opening cut into one. We packed pieces of chicken or meat and let the frames float around the lakes.... Maggots of course formed and dropped into the water. Kept the fish we stocked ( gills and Bass ) fed the whole summer.. You can also get a few large galvanized tubs and plant some lily pads in them... This way , they will not take over the lake, but do get very large........ Just a few tips.......... THE CATKING !!!