close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

When the Dogwood blooms

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by FishnJoe, Feb 6, 2005.

1. How many sayings that are fishing connected, can you think of? I've heard that Crapie go to spawning when the Dogwood blooms.

2. catking

catking Banned

I've heard that the bass are on their beds also. And this is usually true.. It's also time to till the gardens............. CATKING :cool:

3. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

:rolleyes: when the ground hog sees its shadow it will be 6 more weeks till you see 2talltim's @$$ out on the lake...LOL :) come on spring

4. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

When the cottonwoods flies, it is time for top water basn'. However, I have done good before this, and when cottonwood flies get ready to pick cotton for weeks. that stuff sucks.

bill

5. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Don't forget about "You can't catch a bass by a log with a turtle on top!"

Uhoh, I didn't just say that!

The bass are in full spawn when the Dogwoods are in full bloom. The temps that bass need are the same temps dogwoods need to bloom (correlation wise, water-air temps)

6. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

"When the oak leaves are as big as squirrls ears its crappie time" You hear that from the locals at Kentucky Lake in the spring. "When theres frost on the pumkin, the crappie are thumpin" is one I hear in Indiana. LakeRaider

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2015
  7. When the dogwoods are in full bloom the hens are on the nest fulltime....

8. When the dogwoods bloom sling white spinnerbaits.
    I have also heard that when robins show up that spring is here. If that is true then spring is here because there is one in my yard looking for worms.

9. Basskisser1

Basskisser1 And A Kiss For Good Luck!

I've heard that the white bass are running when the red bud's are blooming.

10. The only fishing wisdom I have found to be true is:

"You shoulda been here last week!!" :rolleyes:

11. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Ever hear this one? "When Shakedown has his boat in the water, every fish in the lake gets lock jaw" :D

12. catking

catking Banned

Sure have Shake....... :D .When the dogwoods are on bloom, it's just another atart to a miserable season for DA KING ...... :D THE CATKING !!!

13. Have you heard this one? When the cows are laying down the fish are laying down too.
    I have a cure for this one though, just kick the cow and make it stand up and get moving. Now you can go fishing.

14. if you see cows laying down-that means it will rain soon.

15. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Here's a few;

Throw back the first fish you catch then you'll be lucky the whole day fishing.

It's bad luck to get married when the fish aren't biting, according to the custom of some fisherfolk.

A fish should always be eaten from the head toward the tail.

Dream of fish: someone you know is pregnant.

If you count the number of fish you caught, you will catch no more that day.

It's bad luck to say the word "pig" while fishing at sea.

16. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Here's some on frogs :eek:

Frogs, like toads, were once thought to have peculiar properties, and were frequently used in healing charms, and in others of a slightly less innocent nature.

A well known country cure for thrush was to hold a live frog with its head in the patient's mouth. As it breathed, so it drew the disease away and into itself. Warts could also be cured by rubbing a frog across them.

The dried body of a frog worn in a silk bag around the neck averted epilepsy and other fits. Frogs were also used in love-magic. In one tale, a girl, whose lover was untrue stuck pins all over a living frog and then buried it. The young man suffered extreme pains and eventually returned to her. She dug up the frog and removed the pins, after which the pains ceased. The man, perhaps rather unwisely, married her.

A frog brings good luck to the house it enters.
    Source: Old Wives Tales

Frogs are said to be the souls of children who have died and thus it is very unlucky to kill one.

17. Ichabod

Ichabod Ghost

Three seagulls flying together, directly overhead, are a warning of death soon to come

18. 2talltim

2talltim Bubby wanna be

that is true i live next to a cow field and that aint no crap

19. catking

catking Banned

Ichabod that's rather morbid ........... :D ............ DA KING !!!

20. My experience with gulls has usually meant "white death" is coming down soon.

*)%#&(#@^ Sea gulls!!