Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
FatMat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious who should get the credit, heard a big brown was caught and the charter took the credit.

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
The guy who reeled it in gets the "credit" (i.e., name in the book). But, if it happened on your boat, tell me you would do every thing you could to hide that fact. ;) From what I understand of the event, lots of pictures were taken, and somebody (not the Charter Capt) posted the Charter Capt's pic with the fish on this site. I see nothing wrong with how the event went down (unless I don't have the whole story).

·
FatMat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am positive by now there are so many stories on that none of us will ever hear the real one. If I was the customer I would have wanted the credit yet would have said thanks to so and so I was able to nail this State record. And if I was the captain of that boat I would have been very happy with that response.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,867 Posts
The guy who reeled it in gets the "credit" (i.e., name in the book). But, if it happened on your boat, tell me you would do every thing you could to hide that fact. ;) From what I understand of the event, lots of pictures were taken, and somebody (not the Charter Capt) posted the Charter Capt's pic with the fish on this site. I see nothing wrong with how the event went down (unless I don't have the whole story).
duh.....................

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
The person who reels it in get credit for the catch and his / her name in the record book. The charter boat captain tells anyone and everyone it was caught on their boat to book more business. That's just how it works.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
No different than the current state record walleye... I dont know the name of the person that caught it but I know it was caught while perch fishing on Captain Andy Emrisco's (sp?) charter boat

·
Registered
16,661 Posts

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
Thanks, ya that's reassuring. I see the banner here on OGF with John holding the fish and in that post it stated that john caught the fish, I was scratching my head. Glad to see the customer did get the final credit.
Like I said earlier. Customer's name is in the book. But, it was the captain's skill being in the right place at the right time with the right presentation. Then, the Capn or mate picked up the rod, and manipulated it so that the fish stayed on the hook, then handed the rod to the customer. The brand new world record holder, i.e., customer, reeled it straight to the boat (these ain't Marlin we're talkin about). Then, the Capt or mate netted it for him, which can be tricky all in itself. I'm thinking you give too much credit to the wrong person(s).

·
Lake Erie Eye Guy
674 Posts
Workdog , I have no doubt the capt is a good captain ,However saying it was his "skill" is a little far fetched. More times then not , it is not skill that catches a state record but luck . I know a bunch of very skilled Captains that have no records so they must not be as skilled as him . Lady luck was shining on the boat and crew that day for sure . Was he trolling for trout or walleye and happened to catch the trout ?? If so once again it would be luck.
Nice fish anyway it goes .
Dwayne

·
FatMat
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Agreed it was a ton of luck, he is a gr8 guy and a gr8 Captain and now that I know that it was handled properly I have much more respect for him. I also like the crew a lot, they always help me out to get on the fish and they are funny as hell to be around.

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
Workdog , I have no doubt the capt is a good captain ,However saying it was his "skill" is a little far fetched. More times then not , it is not skill that catches a state record but luck . I know a bunch of very skilled Captains that have no records so they must not be as skilled as him . Lady luck was shining on the boat and crew that day for sure . Was he trolling for trout or walleye and happened to catch the trout ?? If so once again it would be luck.
Nice fish anyway it goes .
Dwayne
Dwayne,
Look, I'm not John's press agent. I'm just saying, catching lots of fish takes some amount of skills. And, catching lots of fish brings its own certain amount of luck. Also, catching a record is more than just reeling in a rod handed to ya. You make it sound like all you captains out there just ferry people out into the lake, and then those people on your boat catch their own fish while you chow down on potato chips. ;)

My $.02,
Workdog

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Dwayne,
Look, I'm not John's press agent. I'm just saying, catching lots of fish takes some amount of skills. And, catching lots of fish brings its own certain amount of luck. Also, catching a record is more than just reeling in a rod handed to ya. You make it sound like all you captains out there just ferry people out into the lake, and then those people on your boat catch their own fish while you chow down on potato chips. ;)

My $.02,
Workdog
Your 100% right Workdog. Its total skill and having the right equipment that put that fish in the boat. As far as the state record walleye. I saw the fish theday it was caught, Andy Emrisko the captain was joking with guy the whole time that he was gonna cut the line because it was a big sheephead. They were perch fishing and they didnt even have the big net on the boat. Andy saw the fish and **** his pants all he had was a hand net that was part of his fish calling vodoo stick that he had on his boat for good luck. They got the head of the fish in the net and grabbed the tail with a towel and got it in the boat. Now thats luck. That fish actually spit out a huge gobbie that it wasnt weighed with. Andy said it was 8oz. It was the truck of all truck walleye and has been on top for a long time caught right off E. 72.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts