close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

when mounting a kicker

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by dexterm16, Jul 17, 2008.

1. when mounting a kicker how much do i want the kicker prop below the boat? The motor i have is a 1970"s evinrude 9.9 but it is not a long shaft and i want to make sure i have it far enough below the boat while keeping the motor from getting close to the water. I know it depends on my kicker mount and the one i bought is from basspros. its a garelick and it has pretty good range

2. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

far enough in the water that the water inlets are covered at all times, yet high enough that you dont swamp the motor when a roller comes in. if you have an adjustable mount you will be able to tell when your running it. i dont know if you've mounted the mount yet, but you need to put some sort of backer plate inside the boat. dont just put washers on and think that will hold. i found a piece of 3" wide and 1/4 thick alumunum and cut that so it extended 2" past each bolt. drilled the holes the proper width, put it on first(lots of silicon first)then the washers and bolts. solid as a rock. i guess if its an alumunum boat you wouldn't need to. with fiberglass i think it's a must.

3. its fiberglass. i was planning on doing that but do i put it inside the boat or outside? or both:?

4. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

put the backer plate on the inside of the boat. no need for it on the outside. the steel mount should be all the support you need outside.make sure you dont over tighten the nuts too, most transome have some type of wood in them surrounded by fiberglass. you dont want to crush it. you'll be able to tell when you have them tight enough. use lots of marine grade silicone on the bolts too.