close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

When does the bite start?

Discussion in 'Stripers & Hybrids' started by creekwalker, Mar 24, 2008.

1. creekwalker

creekwalker Moving water...

In 2006, I was catching WB in decent numbers in the middle of April and wipers in May (on the OR and tribs). In 2007, I was catching WB in numbers at the end of March and wipers in early April. The water temp was around 50 in both cases, confirming that is one of the keys. If I recall, last year, we warmed up early.

I also do much better on the tribs when the OR is up and there's some current, like after a decent rain, but not blown out.

What's your experience with the start of the bite for stripes? Seems like this year, the warm up might be a little more "normal" and maybe the bite will start to pick up in early April.

I've been out twice this year (this week) and been skunked both times.

CW

2. the water is all blown out so the fish are either very scattered or all packed into very tight places. they start to stage and you can catch them as soon as the water hits the 43-45 range, 50 is when it gets easier though. if the water was low they would bite right now. i will start as soon as the water gets down and above 45 in the spring, but as you said 50 is really the magic number

3. The white bass fishing in the ohio river was absolutley terrible for me last year. It was the worst year that I can remember honestly. I C&R all of them and a few years back could catch 50 plus on a good night. Last year i maybe got 10 at one time. Hopefully this year is alot better.

4. geee; and i thought i picked up a skunk that was not leaving. sorrie to hear about the low numbers, but i thought it was me. i,ve got a goodddd feeling about old man river this year. its going to be great for all of us ######### big numbers for all

5. creekwalker

1bad, that's kind of what prompted me to ask the question. I had a few good days last year (7 days of 20+ fish), but the year before I didn't track my catch count but I think there was a week where I went every day and did that well. Both spring and fall in 2006 were good, but last year fall was really slow for me.

I thought maybe I got lucky before or I missed something last year. Of course I'll try it several days a week this spring and see how it goes. After last year's low clear water, I think the spawn should've been good and there'll be plenty of bait to go around so I'm expecting a good spring as well!

CW

6. that wont be a problem this year, most of the whites we catch are young of the year, (5-9in usually). last year on the ohio we had a massive spawn, i think the only problem we will have this year once the water drops is getting through the little guys to the bigger fish:D , and i like that kind of problem

7. I plan on getting out and starting to look for some whites this week. Been catching sauger and walleye the past few weeks and am starting to get tired of em. Weather looks to stay pretty stable this week and I am hoping they start to move. Shouldn't be too much longer, would hope they are in full swing within the next 3 weeks.

Jake

8. with the water falling right now and expected to get back into the middle 30s by the weekend id be looking in all the big o tribs as far sa when does the bite start it allready has i have been posting good numbers and have had one day over one hundred fish

9. I have 3 or 4 quality tribs that produce around me for good numbers of whites. i am getting ready to get out here in a few mins. Will post results.

Jake

10. creekwalker

mystic4314, I saw that post which got me started again this year :) However, I posted back on that thread looking for more info on water temp, depth, baits, location (mouth, 1 mile in, etc.), current... Anything else you've got would help. A day like you posted is awesome, especially this early!

It usually takes me a few days to locate them in the early spring since they could be anywhere around a mouth, up in the trib, to out on the main river. Once I locate them, I can usually follow their spring pattern pretty well. Staging at the mouth, up into the tribs, and then back out to the main river 'til it warms up too much. Just finding them to get started takes a little more time, so any additional info would be great!

CW

11. im gona be lookin up in the tribs off the big o i dont think the mouths are on it right now with the water up this high would make it a little hard to fish

12. Hit a trib yesterday that usually hold them this time of year and found none. I had a few short hits that may have been small whities or just sauger. Trekin was tough with the soft mud after the water had been up. Creek color looked good, slightly stained, but current was faster than I would of thought for the creek level. Didnt get a water temp reading. I need the water to drop a couple more feet and I will start finding them off of bars in the slack water. Rain today isnt helping the cause though.

Jake

13. TA DA 65 more sunday there makin it to easy all but sayin catch me and holdin up a sign showin what they want if the rest of this year goes this well i might quit my job

14. They are up the tribs alright, as CW said, takes a while to find them, but with high water I'd start at the first current and work down.
    Or, just walk and look, I saw a lot of surface action Sat afternoon, in the trees along flooded creek plains. If you find the bait, you'll find the fish.
    LMJ