When do the white bass start running on C.J Brown?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Chuck P., Apr 11, 2008.

1. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

I really would like to catch the white bass run in Buck Creek this year. Anyone have a guess as to when they usually start their yearly run and a hint on what lures to use?

Thanks in advance.

2. Tennessee

Tennessee Team Stratos

that would probably be all summer you just have to find them breaking the water chasing shad, but if you really want white bass you should go to Freemont its a little drive but you catch them by the cooler full, good luck

3. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

They should be in by the first week of may

4. how do those taste???

5. Probably the best tasting fresh water fish that there is when they hit the ice right away. They will spoil in taste if not put on ice on the road home!

6. Tennessee

Tennessee Team Stratos

I like em, we go up to Fremont every year and bring back a ton and use them for a cook out every summer, like the others say put them on ice if you are traveling for a while (just like any other fish) and if you store them in your freezer for later, put them in a freezer bag with water and a little salt so they will taste fresh when you cook them

7. where is freemont located?, ide like to get in on some of that action

8. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

well... I live right on the creek and when that time of year comes.... Im down there every day rain or shine.... with as low as the water level is in the creek, unless we have torrential down pours between now and the end of this month or beginning of may... there might not be a "run" in buck creek this year... but usually when the conditions are right (water level is normal and water temp is 50º or above) they typically will run end of april to the first week of may... and go through all of may usually

9. Flathead King 06

up north towards sandusky

10. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

The size of the fish in fremont is not as big as OR or buck ck fish IMHO. Those OR fish are running big this year too,15-18" last time I was down last week,TC1

11. Flathead King 06

the size of the WB in CJ has increased considerably in the last few years... I know in recent years we would catch jacks on average in the 12-15" range and last year we were catching jacks on average in the 15-17" range

12. Tennessee

Tennessee Team Stratos

Fremont is in North Ohio, and the river is the Sandusky river, and they are just as big and bigger than these local lakes, and you really don't have to look for them, all through the month of May and you can catch them by the coolers, belive me I go up there every year

13. Does anyone know what's up with the CJ water level? Sorry if this was discussed last year this time, but I forget if some ever found a firm date when CORP would stop lettin out water. I drove by the outlet on Sunday and they still were letting out water.

If there is a firm date for the Louisville CORP, you would think we've hit it by now...

14. Flathead King 06

well it's supposed to be the 1st of april.... but I was out there sunday afternoon at the spillway and water is still being let out... so who knows... might be may before they decide to close the flood gates

15. BlueBoat98

BlueBoat98 Where's Waldo?

As FK06 says, they usually close the gates on April 1 and the lake is full by May 1st. However, they are so terrified that they will let it get too high that they kept letting it out for longer than usual this year. Now the gates are shut down pretty far and it's technically less than a foot low, according to the corps website http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/wc/reports/lkreport.html

The graphic shows how they let too much out and crossed the green line when there was plenty of water. Now they're struggling to get it back where it should be w/o drying up Buck Creek completely.

MC

Attached Files:

16. Glad to see the Corp on top of things as usual!:mad:
    I saw the pretty No fishing signs on the east bank of the creek this past weekend..do those go all the way up to the 2 ponds???

17. Juan More Fish

Juan More Fish AKA Dnavarroj

Forget fremont, the best white bass run i have found is at Maumee in perrysburg,And belive me we have been everywhere almost. North,south,west and east. There was about 20 people in the river when we caught 60 BIG white bass. Ill fish all day but last year i could only fish 4 hours. My arms wrist were tied. It was the best single fishing day i have in that time.:p

18. Flathead King 06

They are actually on the west bank and they run up to and past the 2 ponds... :mad:... dont know the actual story behind why they did it, but I have heard about 4 different explanations and then I have my own opinion... but that hurts the local fishermen a lot... I know the bigger or the 2 ponds had quite a few crappie and cats in it....

19. Tennessee

Tennessee Team Stratos

forget Fremont !!!!!!!?????? thats funny, they are both good places to catch white bass, its whatever you prefer, I like Maumee too when it rains a lot and the river fills up and fishing is slow

20. I fished CJ yesterday for about 4 hours. Tried Rattletrap, suspending jerkbait, soft plastics, minnows for crappie, even tried drifting nightcrawlers for cats. It was windy midday and I almost got the boat hung up by the islands, it's quite a bit lower than last year at this time. I had a couple of nightcrawlers get stolen on the bottom and never felt a bite. I found the bait around mid afternoon in shallow clear water and finally got a hit on a rattletrap. Lots of carp appeared to be spawning near the snoopy dam and along the west bank. No fish but a nice day on the water.