close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

When did you first take your kids fishing?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by twistertail, Dec 1, 2004.

1. My wife is due any day with our fist child and I keep telling her that I think he or she will be ready for a few ice fishing trips this winter, she says no:confused: . When did you guys start taking your kids fishing? I dont remember the first time I went fishing with my dad, its just something that we have always done, I was probably about a year old or so.

2. CountryKat

CountryKat Fish On!!!

My kids were all 2 or 3 years old when I first took them.

3. I think Mike jr was 3 when he got his first bluegill. Now 10 yrs later he enjoys the pond fishing but gets bored if there not biteing. I was the same age when "GRAMPS" to me and was 7 when I caught my first 39 inch pike on Long lake in MICH. Cograts on the new bundle on the way :p

4. Chuck P.

Chuck P. Here We Go Steelers

None of my kids made it past age 3 before they were bait fishing for Dad. ;) Bluegills, Crappie and Any Sunfish that would take the bait..

5. rockbass

rockbass Banned

I took my daughter last year when she was still only about 1 1/2. I have also taken her this year and even took her in my boat this year. she did not fish much out of the boat, she just kept wanting to reach over the side and touch the water and play with the nightcrawlers. She will be 3 in Feb, so I think I will take her more next year. She loves everything fishing. If I take her to Walmart, she gets more excited in the fishing dept than in the toys. No kidding! Everytime I get here and we go past the river on the way home, her eyes light up. It is great. She always wants to "help" me when I and going through my fishing stuff or lining a pole up. You would think I pound this stuff into her head, but I have never even said hey Cloey this is a bobber and this is a sinker and this is......... She always asks first. Well except for right after she was born and I was holdingher in the hospital an was telling her I was goign to take her fishing someday and we would catch bluegill and crappie and catfish. the little booger only a day old smiled when I was talking to her about fishing. That is when I knew she would be something else when it comes to fishing. Ok I am sorry about my rambling,......so Iguess my answer about how old is that it just depends onthe child I think. They are all different. Mine was walking pretty good at 10 months or so, but others are still not even crawling then, so I would say it all depends on the child! :eek:

Now for a side question: How old till you take them wading??? :eek: :cool:

6. I don't have kids but when they can cast a line and reel it in i say get them out there. my cousin was casting at about the age of 3 i think. I would just get them a pole and practice with them and when they get the hang of it take them out with you.

7. catking

catking Banned

Took CWCARPER out to a pond when he was a year old. I have a super picture of him with his very first fish he actually reeled in. I might add, he was an early walker, was walkin at 8 months :eek: He has progressed SOMEWHAT :D over the last 25 years. Best moment? When I heard him say while fishing in a canoe up north " Do you know this reel also reels backwards" :eek: What a freakin mess...........Now he fishes for carp :confused: .................... DA KING !!!

8. and they used to fight over who got to fish with dad after work. We'd go to the GMR (before the new dam was built). I took the dog leash, tied the kid to a big rock or driftwood, and gave 'em a cane pole with waxworms.

My daughter (soon to be 21) fished up 'til she was 9 or so, then lost interest. She'll still fish if we get to a pier on saltwater. I've reported on my son here (19 1/2), who's so ate-up with finding big catfish it's unbelievable. The first time I took him fishing, the had just seen the movie Harry and the Hendersons - at the first BG he caught, he did a perfect imitation of the kid bending over the bigfoot they had just hit with the car, and repeated the line, "What the hell is that?" Mom didn't think it was too funny he was learnin' to cuss when he was going fishin'. I blamed it on the movie. Now he's giving me pointers on "the big ones". [​IMG]

Fishing is a great opportunity for kids to learn about nature, respect for something other than themselves, and get a good start on an enjoyable life-long past time. The earlier, the better, I think.

9. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

My son (now 3) was out on the boat with us OFTEN between the age of 1-2. At 2, I grabbed a snoopy zebco rig and actually let him fish (casting for him, of course). Kid absolutely loves it, and seeing him catch his first ever fish was such a moment for me, it brought tears to my eyes. Looking forward to many many more years of that ;)

10. Thanks for the stories guys, I cant wait to take mine fishing. I have had so many great times fishing with my dad I just cant wait to have those same times fishing with my own kid. I already have the snoopy pole, my wife bought it. She called me at work one day and said I should come home, I might have to take her to the doctor, so I rush home and she has the biggest smile on her face and says I got you a new pole and gives me this snoopy pole with a bib around it that says I love my daddy. I about hit the floor, we had been trying for 3 years. Every since then I have been talking to her belly saying I cant wait to take him fishing, or her, and have been reading In-Fisherman to him.

11. Took my oldest daughter, now 19, waaaay back when she was 1 and still in a carrier. That was in New Orleans. My daughter Sarah started at age 3, my son Nick at 18 months(the infamous waxworm eating trip), and my son Sam at age 2. Sarah is doing girl things now and doesn't fish much (age 8). Nick is a fishing madman(age 7), and Sam is just getting going(age 3) with his first bass ever this past Summer at North Res. It was 5 inches long, but he didn't care. Was still a bass. LOL.

12. All of them started around age three. Had them casting Zebco 202's at age four and catching spawning bass plus hybrid gil's.
    Can't remember when I started but remember my first bass at age four. Was baitcasting at five and flycasting with a special six foot cut down flyrod at six.
    Started my grandson Anthony at three and he loves it. He is now five and will be going out on Erie this year for walleye, smallmouth and perch. All my children including my forty two year old daughter still get a thrill out of catching a fish. :)

13. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

My son was three monthes old, and in a baby carrier and I was dragging him around with me!

14. bttmline

bttmline E.B.C.C. Founder

i think the kids were around 3 or so, before they fished, they were just bait.

15. Congratulations ! ! ! ! !

We bought our daughters (ages 5 and 3) "Sponge Bob Squarepant's" poles for their birthdays (a few weeks ago). They are are honing their skills in the basement, and can not wait until spring. I have a co-worker whose pond is severly overstocked with bluegill and I have the green light for the spring. I hope that their 10 tons of enthusiasm plus a bunch of bluegills will make for a life-long love of fishing.

16. Grumpy

Grumpy Certified Old Geezer

My youngest daughter went out with me for the first time last spring. She was 30 at the time. Since then she's presented us with a grandson. He'll be 1 in March and she's convinced that by May/June he'll be ready to go. She caught three nice channel cats her first time out so now she's putting the pressure on me to do even better for the grandson. He,bye the way, is the little guy mentioned in this past Monday's Dispatch as being the spark that led to the hockey event at the Chiller North this past Sunday.

17. This is from last May. Took the boys gill fishing at Armington Pond. Just stood back and let them go. Nick had a ball teaching Sam when to set the hook. He was even casting out his line for him. LOL.

[​IMG]

18. my son and i learned to fish together. he was 11. he's now 34.

19. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Hell a Spongebob pole?? I have not seen these yet, but I will of course have to get one for my daughter! She loves that cartoon. :)

20. Walmart ...right around $10.... and supposedly they float :eek: ...no more fishing out dropped poles :D